​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Satellite communicators: Opinions?

We normally carry a SPOT tracker for checking in with the folks back home and in case of a rescue situation. But we also are normally in the wilderness with no contact with civilization for weeks. TGOC is a different sort of situation, so I'm wondering if a satellite tracker is needed at all given the somewhat more frequent encounters with civilization. I'm thinking our cell phones are all that will be needed, but realize there will be times of no connectivity...which is no big deal. What do others recommend?

Re: Satellite communicators: Opinions?

Kent

You may find this useful (it's a bit old but still relevant)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU

and also be prepared to give a C.H.A.L.E.T. report as follows

Casualties - number, names (and age if possible),type of injury, severity.

Hazards present for rescuers, e.e. strong winds, avalanche, trees, rocks etc.

Access name of the mountain area and description. It may be appropriate to describe the approach and any distinguishing features such as an orange survival bag. Information on the weather conditions at the incident site particularly if you are in cloud or mist..

Location. A grid reference and a description is ideal. Dont forget to give a map sheet number and please say if the grid reference is from a GPS device

Equipment at the scene e.g. torches, other mobile phones, group shelters, medical personnel.

Type of incident, fall, injury, medial condition and time of the incident.

Sorry if I am teaching you suck eggs, but all challengers shoud know this and revise it.

Regards

I have also seen confusion on other forums regarding the use of a whistle as an distress alarm in the mountains. Apparently in the USA and Canada three blasts of a whistle, three gunshots or other noise or flashing light is a mayday signal. For visitors from such places, please be aware that in the UK we use the international alpine system, six one second blasts of a whistle or flashes, repeated at one minute intervals means "I need help" and three one second blasts is an acknowledgement that the alarm signal has been detected. Obviously any frantic blowing of a whistle in the wilderness is going to attract some kind of investigation, but at night or in fog or low cloud a search team may try circling where they think a signal is coming from to try and triangulate exactly where it is. Using the 3 blast "acknowledgement" that they will be using instead of the 6 blast "casualty signal" would cause confusion and delay getting to you.

[urlhttp://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/EP-Whistle-or-Torch.aspx[/url]

Good advice from Ray and Brian.

As you will have probably already seen from this message board, Kent, quite a few people do carry satellite trackers; SPOT seems to be the most popular. A completely unscientific survey of people I have met suggests that they are often carried to reassure friends and family at home that the carrier is OK, as well as having an obvious safety role. However, they are expensive and also require a subscription.

Some people now have personal locator beacons (PLBs), which don’t require a subscription and will get a signal through to the emergency services in cases of dire emergency. You might be interested in this thread.

My personal feeling is that the majority of Challengers (including me) just carry a mobile phone, although, as you mention, a signal will not always be available – possibly for days at a time, especially if you are walking in the glens. I hope that is helpful.

Yes, thanks Emma. I've decided that SPOT can stay at home for this trip.

I always take a SPOT tracker. For my first couple of trips I just pressed the button at the start of the day and the end and perhaps on hill tops (munros). Depending on your route you may walk all day without seeing a soul and spend some hours off trail. And walking solo - as many do on the TGO - you may be vulnerable.

Now I have a subscription which pings every 30 mins or 15 mins so the wife can check my progress as she sups her early morning tea in bed at home.

Of course if you fall and are unconscious then you can't press the
'please rescue me!' button. But if you wake up ...

On the other hand if your are travelling in a swarm then not everyone will fall off the mountain at one time.

Thanks Paul. Going hours without seeing a soul will be quite the experience for us - we normally go a week or more without seeing anyone! :wink: Agree that SPOT (or similar) is nice to have along, but it doesn't seem to make the cut for this sort of trek. Being so close to civilization (relatively speaking) and cell reception moves it more toward luxury item status.

Kent