​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Multi day FWA's?

Hi -
Challenge 1st timer here - route planning nearly done (Mallaig/Inverie to St Cyrus beach) but wondering if 2 or 3 day FWA's are acceptable & if not how do you overcome that? I'm thinking of 1- the Lairig Ghru (which I've wanted to do for some time & would love to include it): the fwa alternative would be Glen Feshie, but both are 2 - 3 day routes which would need a decision on 1st day out of Kingussie. What do others do here?
2- Braemar to tarfside via Lochnagar (again which I'd love to take in, conditions permitting) & Spittal of Glenmuick, or Braemar to Tarfside via Ballater, again another 2 dayer with decision required on day 1.
Apologies if the answer's obvious but it's got me stumped (not difficult!)
Thanks, & hope to meet some of you en route,
Colin

Re: Multi day FWA's?

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the Challenge. Don't worry, the routes you've mentioned obviously require FWAs and the two day options for those are perfectly acceptable. For the Lairig Ghru, if you're approaching from Kingussie, it clearly makes very good sense to look at the weather forecast before deciding whether to head for Aviemore or towards Glen Feshie.

The trap to really avoid is the situation where your route contains multiple FWAs with a series of alternatives and your route on paper begins to resemble an octopus. That's usually a sign that matters are growing too complex. Keep it simple is the motto.

Hope that helps

Colin

Re: Multi day FWA's?

Thanks Colin, that's a great help yes - guess I'd better get on & fill out the route sheet now!
Cheers, Colin