​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wild camping spots around Torgyle Bridge

I think Andy is right. I've been this way and camping there would be possible though it doesn't hit you as being a site with a lovely view :wink:

If it helps at all I camped slightly beyond the bridge last year where the power line crosses the Allt Pochaichain at NH 324113 and the ground had been very disturbed by all the diggers so was not very tent/tarp friendly (though there is now a bridge - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4208079). It is also decidedly un-scenic!

Hi Kate

Right at the NE corner of Torgyle bridge is a little caravan park that someone camped in last year. There are lumpy looking pitches right by the river near the bridge and a picnic area on the S side (geograph has a picture of it). The spot by the Allt na Muic that Andrew has highlighted is brilliant and might be well worth going that way for.

Willie

You are in luck. 3 year my "batteries" ran out as I descended through the woods to Dundreggan. As if by magic a primrose strewn balcony appeared 10m to the right of the track in the Birch woods. NH308138. You will have to clear fallen twigs etc but my sleep there was deep and rejuvenating. There are cliffs directly south so be careful if you have to go for a wander at 0200 hrs.

Freddy Campbell
You are in luck. 3 year my "batteries" ran out as I descended through the woods to Dundreggan. As if by magic a primrose strewn balcony appeared 10m to the right of the track in the Birch woods. NH308138. You will have to clear fallen twigs etc but my sleep there was deep and rejuvenating. There are cliffs directly south so be careful if you have to go for a wander at 0200 hrs.
My first reaction was that looks like a Fred camp :-)

But have you got the grid reference right? Can't see any cliffs?

Hi Andy The steep ground/cliffs are called Creag a Ghruthan on the max scale on WTP.appspot. Just above the 'n' of cairn on 1:50000.

Last year on the challenge we came south over the hill from Cougie and camped near the single track road in Glen Moriston at NH 267 129 as did a few other people.

Next morning we walked east along the road to Torgyle Bridge- right before the bridge, I noticed a small field- grid ref NH 308 129. If there is no livestock in the field- Im sure it would make for a good camp next near the river, failing that then as mentioned by Willie Todd- the caravan site quite happily let a challenger pitch up for a night last year.

In 2014 I camped on the river bank, just S of the river and east of the bridge. I have a photo from the location if you want to email me.

NB, I tried to climb up the hill the next morning under the power-lines to avoid the 'long way' via the track/military road. BIG MISTAKE! It was horrible ground, very slow going, incredibly rough. I have done the track on another occasion, and although further, it is a much better route to take up that hill.

Thanks for all your suggestions :slightly_smiling_face: I'll take a look at all the options given. Cheers!

Lindy Griffiths
In 2014 I camped on the river bank, just S of the river and east of the bridge. I have a photo from the location if you want to email me.

NB, I tried to climb up the hill the next morning under the power-lines to avoid the 'long way' via the track/military road. BIG MISTAKE! It was horrible ground, very slow going, incredibly rough. I have done the track on another occasion, and although further, it is a much better route to take up that hill.
Thanks for the advice Lindy! I was planning on taking the 'long route' anyway just to be safe after checking out the options on 'where's the path'.