​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fair Weather Alternative

I was intrigued by John’s comment in the thread on fitness about changing your route for several days if necessary.

How much freedom do challengers have to rethink along the way?
Is it ok to tackle something tougher than the planned route?

For instance I’ve planned a low level route from Braemar to Shielin of Mark, but if it’s a glorious day and the sun is shining, I’d be tempted to go via Lochnagar - would that be in the spirit of the event?

Presumably we update control on our check-in phone calls if we do plan detours?

How does it work?

Re: Fair Weather Alternative

The minimum number phone ins are to tell control you're safe, well and en route. Any change to route should always be phoned in as soon as possible.
But you can phone in anytime for a chat (it can be lonely at times), advice or to discuss/change your route. It doesn't have to be because you have a problem or you're pulling out, "Hi Sue (or whoever 😉) I'm in Braemar, I've checked and the weather forecast is good for the next few days, I fancy a stroll over Lochnagar, how does that sound?"

I don't see what the problem would be but you should let Challenge Control know what you are doing. You would probably have to let them know by phone as you leave Braemar (and after checking the weather forecast). Braemar to the Sheilin via Lochnaghar is a long day!

But you have the alternative of dropping down to Glas Allt Shiel for the night and Tarfside is an easy stroll the next day.

I have always thought that a Challenge form organised with Fair Weather Alternatives would make more sense than the current approach.