​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glasgow

Yes there are lockers in the station and a left luggage facility.

Phil, another possibility is to post the stuff you don't want to carry to TGO control in Montrose - this is mentioned in the re-supply post on the main web-site:
'You can also send a parcel to Challenge Control in Montrose for when you finish.'

I'm thinking of doing that so I don't smell too bad at the final dinner!!

Thanks for the information. As long as my flight plans (still working on that) leave me time in Glasgow, the post may be the best option. I cetainly want to have decent clothes for dinner on Thursday!

Decent clothes... you will have your finisher's T-shirt!

(but I must always go out to buy nail varnish to match the colour of the T-shirt of course)

Lindy Griffiths
Decent clothes... you will have your finisher's T-shirt!

(but I must always go out to buy nail varnish to match the colour of the T-shirt of course)
Hopefully not JUST the T Shirt... :thinking_face:
That said, I never send clothes...
Smelly is as smelly is...
Then again, if we do the GIG at the Park again, I may need something.
Ahhhh... There's the Oxfam shop opposite! :thinking_face:

Well now that the range of suitable attire is settled, another question. If I'm on schedule, I'll have 2 hrs from landing at the airport before the bus to Dornie. Are there close enough spots to the airport to grab some alcohol for my stove and mail a package to Montrose?

You will catch a bus outside the airport terminal, Say 15- 20 mins baggage collection, 15 minutes bus ride, plus time waiting for bus departure, 15 mins.
So you have in reality only an hour to shop.alcohol fuel is available at Tiso's shop and other outdoor outlets in the city, as a friendly Glaswegian when you get off the bus.

There is a post office at 136 West Nile Street, close to Queen Street station.

Burning alcohol is known as methylated spirits or 'meths' in the UK, it can be found at any hardware store or decent size supermarket.

2 hours is quite a short time to get from plane door to Queen St station.

Phil - welcome to The Challenge! North Carolina - $34 billion chickens - one Challenger!

There are direct buses from Glasgow Airport (Stance 9, Caledonian Way) through to Dornie. Times are:
10:24 > 15:38 Service 915, Scottish Citylink. Route Glasgow > Uig
15:24 > 20:18 Service 915, Scottish Citylink. Route Glasgow > Uig

You could do worse than wait until the Final Details are published (usually around April 15), identify other Challengers starting from Dornie (there will be a fair few), eMail the organisers to get their eMail and ask them to truck up some gas for you. We're all about helping eachother!

Thanks for the advice...always so helpful here! You are giving me confidence that my route and start are practical and I can submit then tie down these details.

Humphrey...not only that many chickens but as makes sense the world's largest exporter of chicken feet to the far East at last count...if only someone could figure out a way to grow a chicken with more than 2 feet!

Sorry,
I didn't realise your bus left from the airport, ignore everything that I said.

There is a B&Q store (like Home Depot) the other side of the motorway from the airport, you could grab a cab to get you there and back pretty quickly. They sell meths.

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-methylated-spirit-0-5l/264230_BQ.prd
The option of getting someone else to meet you with some makes more sense though.