​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tracking devices

Hi all

Does anyone on here use a tracking device? I've been looking into buying one as it would be a good way of keeping in touch with people at home but also it gets them involved with my route and where I am and where I'm going. Looking at what you can buy, I notice you can also hire them as well and I was wondering if anyone had had an experience with those.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Re: Tracking devices

Hi Paul

I’m a first timer in The Challenge this year, so I’m no expert in this matter.

I think the main trackers that people use on the event are either Garmin (previously DeLorme) InReach or SPOT trackers (mainly the SPOT 3)
Both of these devices enable friends/relatives to be able to track your progress. With the SPOT you are able to send an emergency beacon and send messages to nominated people but you can’t receive messages. The Garmin (or DeLorme) InReach enables you to send AND receive messages and that is the main difference. Both devices, in addition to their purchase price, require an active subscription. The Garmin is more expensive than the SPOT devices both in terms of purchase price and subscription. During the Challenge you are able to link your device to Social Hiking (unfortunately this site will close down after this year’s event) If you look at Social Hiking’s website you will see TGOC 2017 in the ‘Featured Maps’ column.

I’m sure there are other trackers available and other folk may be able to help you with that. From my experience of following the Challenge on Social Hiking in the previous four years the main ones used were the DeLorme (now Garmin) and SPOT.

Another app worth looking at is ViewRanger if you haven’t already seen it. You can share tracks via that but it has limitations and you can’t send messages from it. It’s invaluable for confirming where you are if in doubt (supplementing map and compass of course)

Up until recently I used a SPOT Connect (no longer available) and found it very useful. I’m currently pondering whether to get a SPOT 3 or a Garmin InReach. The SPOT 3 has been about for a while so I’m hanging on to see if this is likely to be upgraded in the near future.

I can’t help you with the issue of hiring trackers but I know that you are able to.

Hope this has been of use but there is a lot to consider and I guess at then end of the day it’s down to what suits you.

Good luck on the Challenge

Paul

I bought the new Garmin Inreach plus which has bidirectional messaging using the Iridium Satellite constellation which provide a more reliable service. The subscription is much more reasonable and can be suspended without penalty. My only concern is that I cannot upload OS maps so I am not sure how good the included Garmin map is. I will combine an OS MAP offline subscription, OS PLANNED ROUTES on my iPhone plus the Inreach for security. The most essential is of course paper maps and compass and skills. I really wish OS and Garmin were more aligned as I want OS COORDINATES ON MY INREACH!

Hi. Another first time challenger here. I've used a Delorme Inreach SE for about a year and a half. Works great for sending and receiving messages. Very slow to send. Tedious to enter text unless you use the phone app. The website to let others follow your progress is fun. Battery lasts for days if you turn it off at night. Very detailed local weather reports available at least here in the US. There are several reasonable plans at different price points. You can change to a different plan or suspend service, I believe, without penalty.

Using earthmate app with the Garmin Inreach seems to be a great combination. I am still playing with it. It allows downloading of the global garmin atlas which seems to give good coverage of the Scottish hills. I thus am covered via earthmate plus inreach plus OS downloaded maps and my routes. Most importantly though I have map and compass and pencil. The inreach is important for emergency or trauma situations and the messaging will give people at home confidence that I haven’t been eaten by hares or midges.

Thanks Ray and Dara

Sounds good. I’m just waiting for the Garmin InReach to reappear in the Ordnance Survey sale and I’ll take the plunge. Still undecided which plan to go for but will probably go for the Freedom plan as I won’t need it all the year round. Looks a decent device.