​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Carnach Bridge Closed (Knoydart)

This gives a good idea of the Abhainn Chosaidh coming into spate

Even at low water it's still a tad iffy Click here for a photograph taken from the same spot after the spate had subsided Looks to me like the spate was at least 1 metre.

In 2011 - that was the wettest crossing for ages - we managed to walk in persistent rain from Barrisdale over the Mam Unndalain, the bealach between An Eag and Sgurr Beag and via the Allt na Feithe to Glen Dessary. Fording the Allt Coire nan Gall and the Allt na Choire Reidh was a bit uncomfortable in the rain & cold but far from dangerous. The pathless terrain between the Allt Coire nan Gall and the Allt na Choire Reidh is mostly grassy with the odd peat hags in between. It it doesn´t rain cats & dogs this is a viable alternative route to Glen Kingie.

If my memory serves me correctly the path along the Allt na Choire Reidh shown on the OS map was existent on the ground.

In the absence of favourable conditions to enable this route to be walked I am planning to go south via Tarbet and Kinniskaig to rejoin route east of Finniskaig. There is an indication that it might be acceptable to take ferry to Tarbet from Mallaig. The only scheduled service does not get to Tarbet until 15:30. However a private arrangement might be possible. If anyone else is interested in this option please let me know

If you want to get to Tarbet the best way would be to switch your start point to Morar and walk, probably quicker than waiting for the ferry anyway and I'm sure Sue & Ali would not mind in the circumstances.