​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Carnach Bridge Closed (Knoydart)

Do you have the map coordinates for that crossing? It looks reasonable but perhaps only in non spate conditions. I do not mind retreating if needed.

Have you crossed there Paul?

It may turn out not be a problem and we will be able to cross the Carnach upstream or on the bridge if it's still there but for people like myself who have accommodation in Mallaig and a ferry booked it is worth looking at the alteratives, in case it's very wet.

Going by Loch Cuaich is the obvious re-route but might be a tedious way to get to Spean Bridge in the time that we have. North Morar is a possible re-route but not ideal in bad weather. Perhaps the organisers would let us start at Lochailort if the weather is really awful.

Any route in this area could be awkward if it's really wet. I think the worst thing time-wise would be to descend from Mam Medail and then have to back-track.

Re. Paul's comment - I've heard of people not even being able to get back up Mam Medail when the burns are really in spate and camping until the water-levels dropped so I don't think people should rely totally in bad weather on being able to ford upstream even though it gets very shallow in drier weather.

Safety 1st, 2nd and 3rd of course. Any doublts on safety and use the alternative route. It appears on OS Landrager 40 at NM885975 that there is a crossing. This would involve going from the bridge NE for about 1.5Kms countouring around Cnoc Ailt na seilge. From the picture it seems that in non psate that his crossing would be safe and reasonable.
I am currently routed from Mallaig across the bridge but will modify to reflect the upstream crossing. IF there is bad weather anticipating spate conditions then my FWA will be to Kinloch Hourn I think (yet to map it out and comment appreciated). If one got to the crossing or even the bridge and spate conditions then one should NOT CONTINUE but go back to Inverie and the alternative route. Given that will be late in the day perhaps camp near the bridge then in the morning go back. Again -SAFETY FIRST. I look forward to many inpute and thanks to Sue and Ali for their notifications. COMMENTS PLEASE!
Dara OhUiginn, Ottawa, 2nd TGO, Age 66, UL approach with Garmin InReach for emergency comms.

Dara,

Sorry to disillusion you but those slashes across the Carnach don't represent bridges - they're waterfalls. Oddly enough, this topic arose on an earlier thread.

I think that it's important for folk to realise that the alternative routes along the River Carnach and beyond to Loch Quoich are very serious ones. The path along the Carnach is sodden even in normal conditions and after persistent heavy rain would be simply appalling. Abhainn Chosaidh to the north along Loch Quoich is another desperately difficult ford and the smaller burns on the south shore of the loch, whilst less demanding, would still involve long detours if you had to forge upstream. The path up Allt a' Choire Reidh is not one I've used but it must be rarely traversed and is probably fading. Only folk with sufficient experience and no little determination will consider these possibilities.

I'm not attempting to put people off from these FWAs - if you know that they're within your capabilities, then fine. But anticipate a very demanding day or two in vile weather.

Colin

Apologies Dara, I've just realised that your GR refers to a point further south and that you've probably viewed an image. I wouldn't give that much credence though if the river is in spate.

Thanks Colin for the reply. The route for the TGO TO SOURLIES could be shifted and I intend to do that to a FWA if any indication of spate. Later I expect to come val through SOURLIES as part of the CWT trail to Cape Wrath. The trail goes along the South side of the Carnach up to the crossing. One should always be willing to just retreat even if that takes an extra couple of days. It would be bad form to show up to the gate and tell St. Peter you were too foolish to just stop and go back. Perhaps if I bring a bridge with me......
Dara

This gives a good idea of the Abhainn Chosaidh coming into spate

Even at low water it's still a tad iffy Click here for a photograph taken from the same spot after the spate had subsided Looks to me like the spate was at least 1 metre.

In 2011 - that was the wettest crossing for ages - we managed to walk in persistent rain from Barrisdale over the Mam Unndalain, the bealach between An Eag and Sgurr Beag and via the Allt na Feithe to Glen Dessary. Fording the Allt Coire nan Gall and the Allt na Choire Reidh was a bit uncomfortable in the rain & cold but far from dangerous. The pathless terrain between the Allt Coire nan Gall and the Allt na Choire Reidh is mostly grassy with the odd peat hags in between. It it doesn´t rain cats & dogs this is a viable alternative route to Glen Kingie.

If my memory serves me correctly the path along the Allt na Choire Reidh shown on the OS map was existent on the ground.

In the absence of favourable conditions to enable this route to be walked I am planning to go south via Tarbet and Kinniskaig to rejoin route east of Finniskaig. There is an indication that it might be acceptable to take ferry to Tarbet from Mallaig. The only scheduled service does not get to Tarbet until 15:30. However a private arrangement might be possible. If anyone else is interested in this option please let me know

If you want to get to Tarbet the best way would be to switch your start point to Morar and walk, probably quicker than waiting for the ferry anyway and I'm sure Sue & Ali would not mind in the circumstances.