​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stoves and fuel for long hikes

Yes. Liam and I had a great TGO in 2916. This time I will be allbymeveryownself though so hope to see you this year. Mallaig to start but Aviemore, Braemar, Calater of course, tarfside and so on.

Hi Dara et al, I use the (heavyweight option) JetBoil Flash. Super efficient burn, for water heating. Good wind resistance, and reasonably compact when packed away. Bought last year for the SWCP, and I'm not ready to pension off yet! Still got gas in the canister, used for approx 30 days, breakfast (porridge), coffee, dehydrated evening meal, and another hot (choc) drink. Very happy. I'm also doing Mallaig-Montrose, look forward to seeing you on route!

I cannot fault my Jetboil Flash. I usually get across Scotland with one small canister (only once had to borrow on the last morning) It does what I want, boils water in super quick time. I don't intend replacing it any time soon 😊

I am a pocket rocket fan. I use it with a home-made wind-shield (2 flattened large disposable aluminium 'pie tins' held together with paper fasteners, sharp edges folded over and flattened back).

I have tried just about every other type of stove over the years, except the heavy but fast jetboil type, but keep coming back to my faithful pocket rocket....

Like you Dara I worry about setting fire to grass with the spirit burner - this has occurred to me, although I was being careful when it happened. I do use spirit when I am out occasionally, but I do not feel confident with it now.

I also carry an emergency kit which includes a back-up of a tiny hexamine burner which weighs only a few grammes, which folds up flat, with 6 tablets tightly wrapped up so the smell does not carry. I came close to needing it when I nearly ran out of gas during very bad weather some years ago, as I had needed to heat water on two nights (Storm Sunday and one other day) for extra drinks and to make a 'hot water bottle' because I was so chilled.

If you are calculating how much fuel you use for each burn, remember that even with a wind-shield you will use more fuel to achieve a boil when it is very windy.

I shall again use my Stormin' Norman ti stove with Meths.
I've had no problems in last 3 Challenges using Meths, and will be defo using it again in 2018.
I've used Flat Cat gear meths, pocket rocket, jet boil, and others in the past.
My Norman Stove is the one for me.
I do use meths.
I have a Jet Boil and a Kovea Spider, that I also use on different occasions, but the best weight and performance combination for me is the Stormin Stove.

Andrew W
I shall again use my Stormin' Norman ti stove with Meths.
I've had no problems in last 3 Challenges using Meths, and will be defo using it again in 2018.
I've used Flat Cat gear meths, pocket rocket, jet boil, and others in the past.
My Norman Stove is the one for me.
I do use meths.
I have a Jet Boil and a Kovea Spider, that I also use on different occasions, but the best weight and performance combination for me is the Stormin Stove.
I'm with stormin and Andrew.

Meths or bio-ethanol is totally 100% reliable.

Used meths and now bio-ethanol (very cheap ) for many years. I also carry a couple of esbit tablets and a MYOG esbit stove.

Currently using a Caldera Cone Tri-Ti Sidewinder - magic.

BTW when you have a gas stove fail on you in the middle of nowhere ( as I did ) you go for

foolproof gear. :smiley:

I always use meths always have, mainly for cooking :smile: . I will probably go for one of the less smelly Bio fuels this time. I always use a cone to shield the pot / stove (and it makes a nice wide base). Its slower than a good gas stove, but who's rushing? I also like the fact that it is silent.
Like others for emergencies I carry a few Esbits which got us through the challenge last year when we couldn't be arsed to find a shop selling meths.

Hi, what do you mean by 'gas stove fail'? I'd love to know what happened? forewarned is forearmed!! Thanks.

I cross-threaded my Pocket Rocket a couple of days from the East Coast a few years ago. That's why I now carry a tiny hexamine/esbit stove as an emergency spare.

Neil Fox
Hi, what do you mean by 'gas stove fail'? I'd love to know what happened? forewarned is forearmed!! Thanks.
Hi Neil. It was such a long time ago - I don't remember why it wouldn't light. :confused:

I'm sure gas stoves are pretty reliable nowadays. :smile

Erm, teach me to read the full list of posts - maybe not. :flushed:

I'll stick to bio-ethanol. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How much meths do you alcohol stove users carry for a 3-4 day section? As far as I can see it's the weight of the fuel (which of course decreases) which makes meths stoves heavier at the start than gas (using 20ml per half litre as quoted in Stormin's excellent website). Though they give you more choice of fuels.

Pocket Rocket type stoves weigh roughly half of Jetboils type stoves but their higher gas usage quickly means that you need an extra or bigger canister, making the total weight heavier for a 3-4 day trip or section of the Challenge. Not running the stove full-blast seems to make the gas last longer.

My lightened Jetboil plus a 100g canister weighs 454g. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a lighter system - short of burning heather! If they have I'll try it.

Wish Jetboil etc would make smaller pots.

Hey, ho! The long running saga of gas vs. meths. I did some weight comparisons on my blog back in 2009 https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/stirring-the-pot/ and for anything other than short trips, there’s little to choose between them.

One thing to be aware of is that meths is not the “clean” fuel that some pretend. It actually produces a lot of carbon monoxide. Under most circumstances this is not an issue if your cooking space is well ventilated. It would only really probably be a problem in snow when tents are zipped up and there’s no airflow under the flysheet (unlikely on the Challenge, but you never know!). A number of gas stoves produce a lot of carbon monoxide too. Roger Caffin wrote an excellent series on stoves covering the issue of carbon monoxide on backpackinglight.com. Unfortunately you need a subscription to access them. Happily my SnowPeak GST100 was one of the lowest CO producers in the test. Article: https://backpackinglight.com/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide/ *

The relationship between the flame height and the bottom of your pan is critical to burning fuel efficiently. I use my GST100 on a low(ish) flame. If flames are licking up the sides of your pan, then you are wasting fuel. With gas you can control that. With meths you need to adjust the height of the bottom of the pan relative to the flame. Good systems (like Stormin’ Norman’s) design the optimum height into the system. Wind shields make a huge difference for both gas and meths.

I’ve used gas on all my Challenges, as much for convenience as anything else. Boiling 1.2L of water a day (2 cups of tea and one rehydrated meal) uses one 250g cartridge for the two weeks for me. I generally carry a backup 100g cart though. I’ve never had a failure, but one potentially significant advantage of meths is there’s nothing to go wrong.

In the end, whether you use gas or meths comes down to personal preference. On an extended trip there’s not a huge difference in weight, mainly because the lighter weight of a meths setup is offset by the lower energy density of meths compared with gas, which evens out the weight difference on a longer trip. My view is that you use whatever you are comfortable with.

* quote from Roger Caffin at the end of his tests on alcohol stoves “As is shown in the graphs and charts, each of these alcohol stoves emits more CO than the best canister stoves. While this danger does not preclude their use in the field, alcohol stoves’ high CO production should discourage you from using them while enclosed in a tent or vestibule.”

How much you need to carry depends on how much and what you cook surely. It's just arithmetic plus a bit extra in case. Also, how many camps. Some people only cook once a day, some brew up 3 or 4 times.
Some camp every night.
Some use hostels.
I get across with 500 ml but that's me. I use a Vargo meths bottle, light plastic, not one of those hefty great things.

Reliability and safety are important factors to consider.

Twice, in consecutive trips with different gas stoves, I had problems. First I had a blockage on a Primus. Ok - not the end of the world and was able to fix it as my buddy has a set of pliers on a leatherman and we found some wire in a bothy to use as a prod. If using gas I would now ensure I had the means to clear such a blockage and carry a spare o ring too. Second time was with a Fire Maple. When screwing on the canister it wouldn't tighten and just kept turning and gas started escaping. The thread of the stove itself had come away from the housing. Imagine if I hadn't noticed and attempted to light it. So, on me own with a broken, useless stove. Luckily found a army style hexy burner in a bothy to see me out until the end of my trip.

I know a fella who was using a gas stove whilst night fishing in a tent. Something wasn't right, maybe a cross thread, and on lighting he was engulfed in flames. He was lucky to escape quickly but not before his shelter was alight and he had molten nylon burnt on his head, face and arms. He was rushed to hospital and was fortunate in that he was left with no visible scarring.

Gleann Dubh-Lighe bothy was burnt to the ground due to a faulty gas canister.

http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/post/21769003488/gleann-dubh-lighe

As most of us cook in the vestibule of our shelters in the middle of nowhere I'd rather put up with the fumes of meths than have the potential issues of a gas stove. I use a home made titanium cone which is a stable, reliable, compact and light set up with nothing to go wrong.

I've had stove failure (blocked jet)but my main problem with gas stoves has been the gas canisters.Either not sealing or not being able to get gas out of the ****ed things at all when new.
Flat Cat/Stormin ethanol for me now.

So alongside Brexiters and Remainers, we now have Heavies and Lighties, Trailies and Booties, Tenties and Tarpies, Filters and Dirties - do we really need Gassies and Methies? But I guess what else would we have to talk about for the downtime between TGO's ?

:innocent:

(BTW this was off the top of my head, please feel free to start another thread on the best names to use for each of the types)

I've used meths, gas and a liquid multifuel stove. All have their advantages, in my experience:

Gas is fast and convenient but expensive vs if you have a failure you're likely stuffed

Multifuel: Not as fast as gas but reliable and generally field serviceable vs heavy and a bit of a faff to set up and therefore slower than gas, fuel not always the easiest to source (petrol / white gas etc)

Meths / Bio-Ethanol: Lightweight and reliable vs perhaps a little bit of a faff setting up but that's about it. Norma's stoves are good (I've got one of his very early models) as are the Caldera Cone stoves - although they ain't cheap. You've also got the option of making your own (penny stoves etc).

One interesting point Roger Caffin made about gas stoves is that he was very wary of stoves that had aluminium rather than brass threads as they are easier to damage, prone to wear and vulnerable to cross threading. Fortunately my Snow Peak GST100 has a brass thread. :innocent:

Care needs to be taken whatever stove you are using particularly in a tent porch. I’ve seen stories of accidents with alcohol stoves spilling and setting light to flysheets or people burning themselves because they can’t see the flames.

Personally, I can’t stand the smell of meths. It turns my stomach. I’ve used bioethanol which is much nicer but difficult to resupply unless you can find a B+Q. :upside_down_face:

I'm with you Robing re: the smell. I struggle to eat on the Challenge as it is, the smell of meths *for me* would be a disaster!:joy:

GREat to read the helpful comments. I have been trying to experiment with my titanium caldera cone combined with the pocket rocket as well. Thanks for the mentions of backup with a couple of esbits. With a tri-ti there is always the option of using old fashioned fire. I look forward to some stove cackling on this year TGO. Anyone interested in coming up the CWT afterwards? I hope to go to Ft. WILLIAM after Montrose then CWT North.

It's just not right to carry alcohol that you don't intend to drink ....

I will actually try meths with a little multi-fuel stove I have. I've not used it since the days when my parents used a Trangia and climbers used primies.

I stick to my stripped down jetboil Titanium. 7.5 oz for stove and pot isn't too bad, and way less futzy than alcohol stoves. Not interested in those. I always boil cook water, just to be safe.