​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cooking gas

I was given a Brukit Jackal stove for Christmas and plan to use if this May. How much gas am I likely to need for the crossing?

Re: Cooking gas

That question is too open ended. I use a pocket rocket and in two weeks use between 2 & 3 250 canisters but I know some Challengers who would use less than one. It will depend on what you heat and how often.

Sue and I used the same stove in 2017 (excellent)
We used 2.5 gas canisters medium size (227g)
This allowed from brews during the day. We camped 11 days in total.
Worth getting a little support for the cylinder base which 8ncreases stability a lot

Hi David

That type of stove uses about 5-8g of gas to boil 0.5 Litre of water. Your gas usage will depend (of course) on how much water you boil or how much cooking you do. For me a 100g canister lasts 3-4 days. Try to work out troughly how much you will use each day and err on the safe side and if you can test your usage before the Challenge even better.

Willie

For me I have been thinking same question I reackon 3 x230g and maybe carry 1x100g gas canister as emergency backup.

I know I can re-supply gas at Braemar (screw thread) but anyone know of other local suppliers on route that would have threaded gas canisters.?

G'Afternoon Nigel. Unless you give us some idea of your route it is almost impossible to give you any useful answer.

Thanks everyone. I have used a Trangia in the past so this is a totally different beast altogether. I was wondering about a broader base so that is good advice. All set now!

peter goddard
G'Afternoon Nigel. Unless you give us some idea of your route it is almost impossible to give you any useful answer.
My route will take me through Invergarry, Fort Augustus, Newtonmore, & Braemar.

Thanks

Not sure about Invergarry but you should have no problems in FA, Newtonmore (Kingussie) or Braemar getting the 250 size gas.