​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travel to Inverness?

Thinking about getting to the start.
I'm planning Shiel Bridge so it looks as if Inverness by train/plane plus bus is the best way?
Travelling from near Heathrow so plane is easiest but London trains also easy.
If I decide to fly, how easy is it to buy gas in Inverness (for an MSR pocket rocket)?
Daytime train is a lot cheaper than sleeper or plane, but is scheduled to get into Inverness at 16.54 and the last bus to Shiel Bridge seems to be 17.09 is that enough time?

Re: Travel to Inverness?

Hi Graham,

When I travelled to Shiel Bridge ( from Tamworth ) I took a train to Glasgow and caught the express coach. Lots of others did too. Sorry can't remember the timings.

15 minutes will not be enough time for your connection in Inverness. There are plenty of outdoor shops in Inverness where you can buy gas, so just ask about. Alternatively take a late flight to Inverness and stay a night.

Have you thought of the sleeper?

If I'm on the train, I can carry gas and not worry (or worry about my rucksack arriving in the right place in one piece), so don't need time to shop in Inverness - its only if I fly that I'll need to buy gas.

Craigdon Mountain Sports is the closest outdoor shop if you need one, 50 metres from the bus station on the corner by the traffic lights.
The bus station is less than two minutes walk from the train station through the station car park.

You can buy gas at Sheil Bridge campsite shop/garage.

Tel: 01599 511221 Shiel Bridge campsite.

Inverness is awash with outdoor shops, so gas will be no problem.
I’d take the sleeper because there is a good chance it will very late - more than an hour - and you will have some or all of your fare refunded. Plan for a late sleeper.