​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for a good Auchronie/Tarfside to Dunnottar route

Excellent Brian, a healthy exchange of views and I probably wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. The theme of contrast is very pertinent and I'm sure that you're right to opine that we're all pre-conditioned by all of the open space we've experienced on the crossing. Personally, I do suffer from mild claustrophobia so the locked in nature of much of the forest is not going to appeal to me. I always, always prefer a view.

The main point which I wanted to make was that the "road free" aspect of the Fetteresso is illusory and that the minor roads outside of the forest also have their appeal. I certainly did mock the banal sitka monoculture and make no apology for that. When you're within one of those commercial tree factories, they all look exactly the same and any sense of a local environment is wholly lost. I completely accept your statement that there are other aspects to the forests and delightful settings if you search them out but, at that point on the Challenge, I'd guess that gentle, patient exploration will be low on the agenda for most folk, who'll trudge doggedly through the sitka on hard and wide forest roads.

So here's a challenge for you Brian. Given your local knowledge and the fact that the forest is on your doorstep, how about devising a route through the area which avoids the unpleasant aspects as far as possible and showcases the finer details. I feel sure that many, many Challengers would thank you for such an endeavour.

Colin

Thanks again for all the great commentary and ideas here. Here's my current plan:

I have sketched out a notional route that skips the Fetteroso entirely, approaching Dunnottar from the south. From Auchronie going eastward it roughly parallels the road (and sometimes on it) that goes to Milden, then Hound Hill to Glensaugh. From Glensaugh, northeasterly through the Glen of Drumtochty and Glenbervie. A sharp right turn to cross the A90 around Clearymuir, before working our way back east and north up to the castle. Seems to be mostly minor farm roads, with a few off-road segments to cut the corners. I like the idea of avoiding Stonehaven proper until we've crossed the finish line at Dunnottar. I agree with others here that a final couple days traveling along small roads won't be entirely unwelcome.

Fair challenge Colin, serves me right eh? I could certainly put together a route that I know works east of the Stockmount trail to Swanley at the eastern edge of the forest as I've done it recently but I'd have to double check the western sector before pointing other folks that way, a lot of the logging roads come and go as forestry operations occur. There is also a network of tracks cut by mountain bikers which are OK for man and dog but would be difficult for someone with a 15kg pack.
Am I right in assuming that folks are more likely to come down Glen Dye and enter the forest at the Spittal or are we looking at the Cairn O'mount summit or Clatterin Brig to the south or even further north? The Builg drovers trail crosses over from Bogendreip NO 662 909 and the Stockmount trail crosses from Knockburn NO 699 916 and I know both routes are passable and connect up my known route eastwards.

Thanks, Brian. I’m sure there are some good bits. You say don’t rely on the 1:50k maps, but that’s exactly what most of us do our planning on. I doubt even 1:25k will be very accurate with forest tracks as they are changing all the time with logging. TBH, the Fetteresso is no different to many commercial forests in that regard. I did some extensive research on Bing and Google aerial photos and even those failed to give me an accurate picture, particularly on one track to the north of Cairn Kerloch near Glenskinnan, which looked clear on the photos, but was overgrown and ususable on the ground. Unless you have local knowledge, it’s not easy to construct a good route given the changes due to the windfarm and forestry operations. Still, I’m glad I did it just for the experience and there were isolated parts that were quite nice. :+1:

I'll try and get a current passable route put together, but it may take a while. A lot of roads up to the forest are iced up at the moment.

I know what you mean, the FC are very good at sticking "Forestry Operations Ongoing, No Admittance" signs up in the middle of nowhere with no alternative route but to turn around and go back.

It's a good job that I did some recon work before recommending a route. I found a fence which was once so ramshackle that a mole could climb it has been replaced by a new high, multi-strand barbed wire version. Having picked the shortest day of the year to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with light fading fast, I ended up playing commandos by sliding underneath it through a cold peaty puddle, much to my dog's amusement. Still work in progress.

Brian,
That's dedication! Shame the snow didn't last but was nice while it was here. Got up Bennachie last weekend and it was lovely.

Brian,

yourself and other people have mentioned, camping at this spot in the forest- is there plenty room for several tents?

I'd recommend NO 763 873. Plenty of room, and you can draw good water from the stream 50m to the west.

There is plenty of camping spots in that area. There is quite a wide flat grassy meadow between the road and the Cowie Water around NO 76452 87382 which could take a good few tents. There is also a good flat area around NO 76412 87320. There was an old touring caravan parked there for a long time but someone came along and trashed it to steal the chassis. To be honest a battalion could set up camp around the bridge. To the South of the Cowie burn are old antitank defences so not much camping potential on that side and there is a well preserved pillbox on the shoulder where the Cowie Water and Finglennie Burn converge. If the weather is bad you might also consider camping in front of the old ruin hidden in the trees at NO 76441 87177 There is a big old beech tree in there with a small clearing around it. It is high above the two burns. There is a story that this used to be the location of an inn at one time, it is on the Cryne Cross Drovers Trail. It is said that a laird gained ownership of the land by marrying an old dowager and then promptly banished her to this old building so that he could move in a young, pretty mistress.
There is a sand quarry at NO 76424 86548 where you could pitch a tent or two but you would have to carry in water from one of the burns. This is the place for dragon fly watching that I mentioned in another post.
The water in the Cowie(and other burns in the forest) is clean but quite peaty so you might want to think about filtering if you can.
I'm still working on Colin's challenge to come up with a route across the forest.

I'm eagerly awaiting your route, Brian!

See my most recent post on the topic http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=757451871&frmid=14&msgid=793604&cmd=show
I'll e-mail you the notes. I'm trying to find somewhere to post them for easy download.

If it's a choice between camping by the noisy A90 at Northwaterbridge or in the Fetteresso, I'd go for the forest any time.

Yes the road is noisy at NWB! However, I always take earplugs as a guard against noisy campsites, not just NWB :wink: