​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Farming land/people question

hahaha, we have ticks too... ill compare our to yours.

We have a giant beastie that can beat anything you've got. She lives in the Fort Augustus - Drumnadrochit - Inverness area.

You have probably realised that the further south you come out of the hills the further it is over the coastal plain, known locally as The Mearns, to the sea. The highland boundary fault hits the North Sea at Stonehaven and moves away from the coast going southwards.
If you are heading to Lunan Bay you are probably looking at emerging from the hills at something like Dykehead or Alyth. There is a network of minor roads which will get you to the coast. Although there is a right to roam in Scotland you shouldn't be looking to head through farmland from field to field unless there is an established public footpath or right of way. There is nothing worse than crossing a field to find a gateless barbed wire fence and deep ditch at the other side. You will make faster progress using the minor roads. Google Streetview is of course a great tool for taking a look at the minor roads to see what they look like.
If you are going past, I seriously recommend a stop at The Drover's Inn at Memus, you won't be disappointed. http://the-drovers.com/

Perfect, thank you for that information. That helps SOOO much!!!!!

Scott, I totally agree with everything else you've said but wonderered about Highland cattle being more aggressive than others. I find them incredibly docile and walk through groups several times a week.

There are exceptions: when I'm with the dog as dogs make them twitchy, not getting too close behind them if trying to move them forwards as they sometimes kick back, and getting between either a mother and calf or a bull and his cows.

Only the last bit is likely to apply on the challenge and it's pretty standard advice for any animal.

Highland cattle are real sweeties!

I cant wait to see them in person. I just wanna take pictures so I remember them forever lol

You have email.

im not seeing it, could be stuck somewhere over lala land.... ill keep watching for it though!! thank you

Most of the farmland around Forfar / Kirrimuir etc on the way to Lunan Bay is arable farmland, what beef farming there is, will most likely be either Aberdeen Angus or Charolais cattle although there are herds of Hereford and Belted Galloway. Highland Cattle are around but a bit of a speciality. I could give you locations around Stonehaven where you would be guaranteed to see some but I'm not sure about the area that your route passes through. There will be some 'Herry Coo' herds I'm sure, if seeing some is one of your main ambitions, why don't you contact the Highland Cattle Society to confirm where there are farms that have Highlands? http://www.highlandcattlesociety.com/directory/breeders-clubs.aspx