​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glen Garry

Paul Southward
Are you thinking of using the footpath along the south side of the river Garry to Garrygualach? If so be warned, it's fowl. I did it on the Cape Wrath Trail this year and it's one of those paths where even when it's dry it's wet. I had in my mind a nice amble alongside the river on firm ground and lovely views. Forget it, it's marshy, boggy and thoroughly unpleasant and will slow you down to about 1mph.

However, it's your route, so the best of luck to you!!!
Paul, yes south side of river up to Garrygualach was my planned route. I can easly tweek this to head up into the forest at 128 000. Thanks for the advise.

Hi Nigel
I came down this way last year. 2016
My intended stop was to be the Laddie Hut but there was only a very tiny patch of muddy grass. Not as shown in the photograph.
I eventually managed to perch my tent at the side of the road about an hour past the Laddie Hut.
Not ideal and totally tick infested.
A great many others passed me by also looking for a site.
The road had been widened due to some hydro scheme and had wiped out a lot of the camping options.
The age of any advice you get may be relevant but I did struggle.
Hopefully you will find a suitable spot.
All the best.

My own take is that The Laddie Hut (homonym from Leac Ladaigh - think this could translate as The Robber's Grave, tho' I'm sure that JD can steer me right!) is good - just lay yr scratcher down inside - there's a table as well - and there's water right nearby. Note that there's a new bridge at NN 127 799 which may not be shown on older maps. This is the logging road - much of the forestry has been clear-cut in the past two years - so you now have a relatively open route S through to Greenfield. Good luck on yr stravaig!

Greenfield is a working farm - cattle & sheep - so I think you'd find yourself sharing with a few hairy coos there! :ox:

I'd be inclined to stop short near Poulary as suggested by Steve Kerr (see above) or press on to the Laddie Hut as suggested above by Humphrey. Can't recall how much space there is by the hut, but you will have the benefit of a nice table and bench for cooking supper. :knife_fork_plate:

Map Ref would be great Steve.

Gavin/ Nigel map ref is OS map 34 113018. Its a good camping spot, I intend using it myself next year. If the weather is foul the road can be walked eastwards for 4 miles from that spot to where the river is bridged at 195022 and you cross over to Greenfield, avoiding Garrygualach and walk through to Invergarry.

I camped on a flatish spot by the roadside about 1K east of Greenfield just after the road forks. There's a wee burn for water. Watch out for the curious hairy coos.

Looks a bit off route from Kinbreak,easier to stick to the forestry track to the bridge at Poulary NH133010 and look for a decent pitch along the way.The road walk from there to the bridge at NH195021 might reveal a few spots but sadly the Tomdoun Hotel is no more.The shelter at NH230003 is a good lunch break in the rain, it may be housing an atv or not.