​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cannich to Drumnadrochit

Thank you, young man. It would be preferable to the that long trudge up the road from Cannich. I shall give it a go, and provide some feedback after my bearer has cleared the way for me!

I did the route that Alan suggested in 2014 - there was a bit of bog wandering but it was OK. But because of the new power line, my OS map and the land didn't really match which was a wee bit confusing. Maybe OS maps have been updated since then.

Hi Ian, the route I plan to take is similar to the one Alan Sloman mentions in his post. From NH347305(ish) head East to NH353305, then South, over the Allt Feith Riabhachain, to NH352297. Then SE, to join the track, shown on the OS map, at NH355295. Then E and NE on the track through Brecky Wood to Corrimony. Hoping to Monys's Stone and the chambered cairn on route.

I am using OS digital mapping, which seems to be reasonably up to date.

I'm doing that section too and had planned precisely the same as Brian is proposing. My headache is before then, in getting from Glen Strathfarrar to Glen Cannich - see next post for which comments would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Simon.

Brian, Simon,

Try going by Loch Riabhachan. The old path from Clachan Comair is fading through lack of use but wasn't too hard to follow when I used it a few years back. It hardly existed within the trees but the direction was clear enough. The loch is a lovely spot, full of reeds and water birds and with delightful woodland on the eastern side. The crossing south at the loch outlet looks unpromising and marshy, but can be done dryshod if it hasn't been too wet in the preceding days. Once through the woodland, there's a short stretch of heather moor, then you're into the plantation above Corrimony. In fine weather, I'd recommend this route very highly.

Colin

Some pointers regarding the Cannich to Drum. "shortcut"!

We walked out of Cannich on the AKW and over the bridge to join the AKW route up hill (NE) from the bridge. After approx 500m there is a forest road, on the right, which doubles back uphill through the forest. We followed this road until it reached the Kerrow Burn. Turned off the forest track and followed the right bank (south side of the burn) Kerrow Burn to NH347312 (ish). Headed ESE to NH 365303 (corner of the Beckry Wood) where we met a landrover track. Some slightly boggy sections, but nothing serious. Followed the LRT ENE into the woods and out near NH374304. We visited Mony's Stone and Corrimony Chambered Cairn, before continuing to White Bridge to pick up the remaining section of the AKW.

It is a bit of a circuitous route, but you get there in the end. The power line tracks shown on aerial view (Bing and OS Maps) are no longer there. Either removed or, allowed to revert to nature - this made the navigation "interesting". We had a couple of fences to cross, but none to difficult. When entering Beckry Wood at NH 365303 the track was a delight to walk - soft green grass all the way to NH374304. Some tree harvesting had started, so I don't know what it will be like next year.