​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Applecross

Seems so Bart:+1:

Hi Bart,
Nice to see you look at an adventurous start. Way back in 2004, Chris Peart and I started from Applecross, albeit a couple of days early, the official start being from Torridon. We took slightly different routes as we wanted different hills but, in essence, we went through by the River Applecross and Allt an t-Srathain to Shieldaig, thence by road for 3k and tracks from Badan Mhugaidh to the Loch Torridon Hotel.

As Markus says, getting there is a bit of a challenge in itself, with a lack of public transport. We were lucky enough to have a lift there from a friend who was visiting the area.

If you do set out from there, it's actually a superb way to begin the event, from a lovely west coast village with excellent pub, then through unfrequented glens.

Hope to see you in May

Colin

Hi Bart
I agree it would be a great place to start. I am starting from Ardrishaig this year which, to me, is not on the west coast, so I shall be starting at Crinan. It was the same with Acharacle.

There is a bus to Applecross on Wednesdays (also Saturdays) at 15:00 from Inverness getting in at 18:15, so you could start there on Thursday and sign out at Torridon on Friday. Check on the Traveline Scotland website if you need to book the last part. Service 504 operated by Lochcarron Garage.

Enjoy!

Colin and Vanessa, thanks a lot for your helpful comments.
Applecross it is going to be! Still have to decide to sign out in Torridon or Strathcarron.

BART