​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fetteresso Forest to Dunnottar Castle

Planning on the same finish myself. Thanks for the info Brian. I shall be getting the maps out tomorrow.

Hi Brain,

Thank you very much for that I think I will take you route and tweek it to go past Toucks Under the A90 at A92 join and Probably go past your front door. A wee fair bit of it is dependent on the day but I want to avoid going into Stonehaven and being tempted to finish there. I thought about finishing at the castle last year but thought as it is my first would just finish in montrose but the castle make a great finish.

I plan to camp in the forest west of Kerloch the night before I sure I will bump in to some walker if you wish to follow.

Cheers

Aaron

Aaron,
going through Touks will work, you can follow the route (apart from the underpass under the A90) on Google Streetview to see what is involved. Turn off at Tewel farm and cross the ford and over the railway line.
In terms of absolute distance it is probably the shortest route but means more tarmac. Having said that, we are talking pretty quiet roads, especially between Tewel and the A90.
There are often quite a few rucksacks going past here on the Wednesday. Certainly Dunnottar Castle is an impressive end point and once you have dipped your boots, if you fancy it, it is a very easy walk along the cliffs and down into Stonehaven for a celebratory pint or trip to the famous Bay Chipper and Aunt Betty's Ice-cream shop. You can catch an Express coach to Montrose from either Stoney or if you want to head straight to Montrose, just near the Castle or you can catch a train from Stonehaven.

Definitely worth going for fish and chips and then an ice cream. That is my plan!

http://thebayfishandchips.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/auntybettystonehaven/

There are other very good chippers and ice cream shops available (we are very lucky in Stoney on that front) but the Bay and AB are handily next to each other.
If you do get ice cream in AB, ask for all the toppings, you will be amazed, and if you have just walked all the way across Scotland you can forget about the calories.

Used to take the kids to the outdoor pool and then get an ice cream. They enjoyed the ice cream more than the pool as they didn't like the salt water!