​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crossing the Allt Chonnal at Luib Chonnal Bothy

At the weekend, I was up visiting Luib Chonnal Bothy which I am a M.O.for.

A few months back a group of walkers left their car near Melgarve and walked across to Luib Chonnal Bothy where they spent the night.
In the morning after heavy rainfall, the river outside the Bothy was in spate and uncrossable. A desperate plight followed when these people damaged the axe trying to cut the metal chains which secured the ladders stored at the Bothy, which in turn also damaged the ladders. The result was a failed attempt to make some sort of bridge across the river with the ladders, and eventually Mountain Rescue were called out.

Since this incident, we have been informed by the estate that there is a bridge further upstream not marked on maps, although it is marked on the 1:25 000 map as a ford.

So if any challengers are heading from Luib Chonnal to Melgarve and the Allt Chonnal is in spate- dont dispair, as there is a way across.
Follow the track that runs up the hill (SW) behind the Bothy for 1km and the track turns east as it crosses the river by a substantial bridge. It is only a twenty minute walk from the Bothy.

Grid Ref: NN 38903 94541

Re: Crossing the Allt Chonnal at Luib Chonnal Bothy

I find this incredible. Wouldn't any normal person walk upstream to try to find a crossing point? OK it may be a fair way, and if not that, then toddle down to Roybridge to organise transport.

But no. Vandalise the estate's (locked & secured) property instead. Then call out the MRT.

And people wonder why bothies get closed or locked.

:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Tell me about it, babes. There's a monster disconnect here between those of us (or them. or theirs. or whoever) who are hip to the connect between landscape and resources and others who . . . well, this is a public forum so I'm not going to rave on! The Scottish Access Code Click here to take a look is very clear on this - and, as we all know, is predicated on intelligence.

Resting my case? Jeez Louise, resting 10kg is about all I can manage these daze . .; .

Silly b*****s - why didn't they think about the state of the river and the weather when they made the decision to visit? I'll bet the MRT were delighted with this ridiculous call out.

I've known about this bridge for many years and always point it out to any Challengers who are going this way. In one of Hamish Brown's books, it rates a scathing mention, due to the failure of the OS to mark it. It does leave you a long way from the path but better that than a desperate attempt to cross a surging river.

Colin