​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First timer - advice re route planning please - ascent figures

Similar route to mine so might see you along the way. Got my route in last week for vetting.

Will look out for you, Scott

I had an issue with the Deeside Way a while back, which, from it's furthest West reaches to Aberdeen is principally downhill. I won't explain in detail as it will bore the pants off you, and nobody wants to see that sort of thing on here. The bottom line (no pun intended) was that my contour counting logically gave a very small ascent, whereas, "other peeps" had several hundred metres of uphill (somehow) My advice is to count the uphill contours, cos most of the electronic stuff seems to like to exaggerate, probably due to sloppy joining of The Dots. Whilst this does massage the egos of those who's amount of uphill work has been exaggerated, counting brown lines could be more accurate. If anybody "in power" argues and provides a different number, just go along with whatever they say, even if it defies logic. This is a pragmatic approach.

:grinning: Thanks for the reply Mike. I've got my route back from the vetters and they seem happy enough with it now. The variation between the digital methods was significant and both seemed excessive. You're right, contour counting would seem to be the most accurate method!