​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deeside Way, An Illustrated Guide

It looks like there are some old links around to my Deeside Way guide (thanks Laura) so here is a link to the 2016 edition. There haven't really been any changes since then.

The Deeside Way - An Illustrated Guide

This opens in Dropbox as a readable document. If you want to print it or save it on your computer, chose the Open menu in the top right corner, then choose Adobe Acrobat, Preview or whatever PDF reader that you use.

It goes from Aberdeen to Ballater so you may have to read it from back to front.

Happy to help with any questions.

Re: Deeside Way, An Illustrated Guide

Hi Ian finished last year's challenge on this. It wasn't on my original plan so I hadn't done any research on it, but it was very pleasant. Except for losing the trail going out of Aboyne and nearly getting squished on the road several times on the way into Kincardine O'Neil.... 😂 Had to backtrack inthe end and luckily found a newish bit going through the little forest, which took me safely across to Kincardine. Realised after that my 1:50 000 map was a bit old and didn't have that section marked, whereas a friend's new version of the map did...

Right enough, there has been quite a lot of work done improving the Deeside way around Kincardine O'Neil in the last few years.
Heading eastwards, the way now crosses the Lumphanan Road at NJ 56707 00128 and crosses the Dess Burn using a new footbridge. Once you have crossed the bridge the Deeside way turns to the right at some mounting steps but it is highly recommended to first take a slight detour of a couple of hundred metres by turning left at the steps and visiting the impressive waterfalls at Sloc of Dess. There is a viewing area on the track.
The base of the falls would make a good wild camp site, as long as the noise doesn't affect your bladder too much.
http://tinyurl.com/yco2w3s2 http://tinyurl.com/ycmxtd3o

It is possible to get down to the flat area at the base of the falls from the path on the East side, but not recommended as it is very steep. The access to the base of the falls is easier by travelling North along the Lumphanan road from the crossing point for a few hundred metres until you get to a layby on the right where a track (still steep but not as bad as the East bank) winds down to the falls. NJ 56595 00365

The Deesde way route now follows a good tarmacked and traffic free path around the back of K O'N to Morven and then down the old military road and ends up in the centre of the village where there are public toilets, a Chinese takeaway and a small village shop / post office.

The good news for challengers is that there are plans afoot to extend the Deeside way from Ballater to Braemar, but the work certainly isn't going to be started, never mind finished, by May 2018.

The Cambus O'may and Polhollick bridges either side of Ballater are still out of action. I've seen that a planning application to repair the Pollhollick bridge was withdrawn so who knows when repairs will start.

As well as Ian's excellent guide, there is also the official one which is available as a collection of pdfs online. http://www.deesideway.org/

The Victorian tea shop Dees teas in kilc O’Neill has shut down, last I heard.

Thanks Ian!