​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rough route from abroad, any advice?

Hello all

I am a new Challenger for 2018. I was entered in 2015 but had to bail due to work complications. I have a rough route and would like any comments and advice you think is nice to know for a Danish hiker who has never hiked in Scotland before.

Rough route:

Starting point is Mallaig arriving late Friday the 11th. Ferry to Inverie on the 12th. The on to Ft. William over Strathan, Meall a Phubuill, Bhein Bhan and Great Glen Way.

Then follow the Glen Nevis trail East to Loch Treig and Loch Ossian through the Beleach Dubh onwards to Dalwhinnie. I am thinking of going the high route from Loch Pattack over Meall Cruaidh to Dalwhinnie or along the Loch Ericth, any advice?

From Dalwhinnie cross to Loch Cuaich and up the valley to Bhran Cott and further east to Glenfeshie Lodge crossing the river to Auchlean. Here I am a little undecided. I can go the "easy" route or the "tougher" route.

Then north past Feshiebridge and further on northeast to the Cairngorm footbridge and the Lairigh Ghru down to Braemar.

An alternative could be to follow the Gelen Feshie to White Bridge and into Braemar that way, but I would like to experience the pass of Lairig Ghru, who knows if I will ever be back. Pros and cons?

From Braemar I plan to take Jocks Road down to Clovan. From here cross to Tarfside over Green Hill and Muckle Cairn.

From Tarfside I plan to cross Stobie Hillock follow the Glen Dye past Charr to Spital Cott. Then East to Fettereso Forest and out to the sea at Stonehaven and Dunottar Castle. Then a bus to Montrose for dinner on the evening of Thursday the 24th.

Roughly 330 km with an average of approx. 25 km a day in a 13 day hike starting the 12th and ending the 24th.

Questions.

Where do I need a FWA? Where can I resupply on food? Can I source a 100g gas cannister for a Jetboil in Mallaig? Can I get them along the way, or is it easier to bring an alcohol stove?

As I said any comments, advice or clues is readily welcomed.

Thanks
Niels

Re: Rough route from abroad, any advice?

Just a quick observation about your last leg, don't be tempted to just cross the road at Spital Cottage and try to enter the Fetteresso using the Spital Burn and the Cran Burn. It looks logical on the map but it is some of the most horrible energy sapping fly infested peat bog that you are likely to come across in your entire crossing. A big contrast to the pleasant walk past Charr Bothy on the West side of the road.
It is far better to make a slight detour to NO 64772 85279 and enter the forest using the good logging roads.
A lot of challengers spend their last night at Cowie Crossing NO 76444 87378 before the last few kilometres trek to the Eastern edge of the forest at (for example) NO 82536 86693 and the downhill walk into Stonehaven.

Re: Rough route from abroad, any advice?

Hi Niels and welcome to the Challenge.

That sounds like a fine route. To answer some of your specific questions:

If the weather permits, it would be great to go over Meall Cruaidh and The Fara. You can either drop down on a path that goes down the firebreak to An Tochailt – see this route – or find a route east to the road above Dalwhinnie.

You may not be aware that the bridge at Bhran Cottage at NN 755 912 is no longer there; the Bhran could be tricky to ford there.

Both the Lairig Ghru and Glen Feshie are beautiful routes, but my advice would be have the Lairig Ghru as your main route and Glen Feshie as your FWA; an FWA is required for the Lairig Ghru and Jock’s Road, as you will see from the Event Details.

You will definitely be able to buy food and gas in Fort William and Braemar, and food in Dalwhinnie (garage shop) as well as other small shops, depending on your route. The debate about gas versus alcohol will rage on and on, but, as I prefer gas, I can advise you that 2 x 100g or 1 x 250g canister just about gets me across, if I enjoy food where provided whenever I can. I don’t think you will be able to buy gas in Mallaig, but I am not sure. However, if you getting the train in, for example, Glasgow, there are plenty of places where you will be able to buy gas there.

Happy planning!

Emma

PS: You will find lots of advice on this forum; this thread in particluar has some good advice for first timers.