​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Way through/over cairngorms

I'd second Louise's suggestion, and if you don't fancy Glen Derry, then via Glen Avon/Glen Builg. However, there are other alternatives and numerous twists and variations to add hills and higher routes to suit your taste for landscape and challenge.

Personally I'd suggest getting the maps out and planning the higher route that you really fancy, backed with a FWA in case of snow/weather. My only advice really is to try to design the FWA to provide as much interest as the primary route, and not make it a disappointing trudge as you muse on what might have been.

Happy planning!

Thanks to you both. Good advice and now I've got something to work with.

Hi D & A and welcome to the Challenge.

Could you use your names when posting, as required by the notes above this thread?

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Thank you.

You have two very good suggestions already. Passing by Strath Nethy, the Shelter Stone and the Hutchinson hut en route to Derry Lodge takes you into the heart of the Gorms without going onto the tops. Then (if you can stand to miss out on Braemar) continuing through Clais Fhearnaig and along the river Gairn is all great walking territory to get to Ballater. The Fords of Avon can be impassable at times to get to the Lairig an Laoigh.

From Kingussie the logical and beautiful way is through Glen Feshie as I'm sure you know. Mullach Clach a Bhlair then eastwards is quite easy if you want to add a bit of hill.

It seems I was on nearly the right track.

My thoughts were shelter stone, Avon refuge but stuck continuing to Ballater. How do I link up with the river Gairn and into Ballater on your suggestion? from the fords of Avon...
If we go to Hutchison hut & Derry lodge, (Lairig an Laoighit from Avon) seems we will need to track north east to find/follow the Gairn to river Dee into Ballater, (Clais Fhearnaig) - that goes south side of Beinn A Bhuird but still leaves a far way north east to Gairn.
So go around Ben avon south side to Gairn from derry lodge or go north of Ben avon from the fords of Avon?

Glen feshie will be the FWA I imagine.

David - formerly known as D & A :)