​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New sleeping bag?

PHD more money than it's worth. The down comes through the fabric, looks like I've been plucking geese in my tent in the morning. Their customer service is a disgrace for the money paid.
Husband has no problems with his Rab bag and I *think* that is a Neutrino 400. I borrowed once for the Challenge and it was cosy enough for me, I am a VERY cold sleeper!
BUT!! That's only my experience...I know others love PHD.

I have a Rab Neutrino 400. Excellent bag, used on several Challenges. Never been cold, even when it's snowed. But a good sleeping mat is just as important.

Hi Graham

I presume you've used your 25 year old bag recently and it still keeps you warm? I have used a Rab Quantum 400 for all of my TGOC crossings and it is usually warm enough, but either I am sleeping colder as I get older or the bag is not as warm as it used to be.

I reckon your longjohns, socks and baselayer top should keep you cosy in your old bag. I'm always prepared to put on my fleece jumper or my Rab Neutrino bodywarmer (gilet, for you posh people) if I wake up cold in the night. I've had a couple of cold nights on every crossing.

Of course, if you need (ie want) a new sleeping bag then that's a different matter!

Like Judith and Louise say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I had PHD make me a custom bag way back in '99 and it's as good as new. Wish I was the same. I use a NeoAir mat, which makes a serious difference - most sleep problems come from insufficient insulation from that cold cold ground . . .

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
After feeling a bit cold camping in the snow in the lakes two years ago (in May!!), I swapped my old school thermarest polite for an exped synmat hyperlite which is brilliant - comfy warm and light!

Definitely better than the 3mm karrimat that used to be warm enough when I was young!

I guess I'm convinced the bag will do the job - it's just a question of whether I can resist the temptation of a shiny new piece of kit!

Graham

I can recommend Mountaineering Designs: http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/

They cleaned and topped up my ME down bag some years ago, it's cosily warm now and saved me a huge amount of dosh through not having to buy a new bag.

John,

Thanks for the tip.
My bag has been dispatched for cleaning/refurbishing.
I look forward to blissful sleep for not much more than a tenth of the cost of a new bag!

Graham

Just got my sleeping bag back from mountaineering designs (http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk)

To clean it and replace several sections of down where the down was beyond restoration cost £100 (inc P&P)

The bag looks like new - looking forward to good warm sleeps on the TGO and for less than half the price of a new bag.

Thanks for the tip John!

Graham