​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glen Clova no more

Here's a clicky link

Renovation plan looks OK to me (dependent on reasonable pricing). Is forgoing a communal kitchen area such a hardship? Especially if the trade-off is better rooms with en suite facilities. I realise that some outdoor types have a masochistic streak, but I had enough of freezing dormitories and communal showers at school, thanks.

My view? Good to see a hotel investing a few £K in providing quality budget accommodation. AND it looks as though it will be finished in time for TGOC 2018

Thanks for the clicky link, knew someone would be along to do that for me
Amd as it happens Phil, I agree, the plans look fine to me, so long as the tariff is reasonable. I don't share facilities well, so this kind of thingccertainly suits me well.

TBH, I'm with Phil.
The rooms for the price were not that good, compared to other bunkhouses.
A renovation would be nice, and if it costs more, so it costs more.
If you want frugal, there is always a tent, and by the time I have in the past got to Clova, I have spent enough time in a tent.

I think that it is just a symptom of the fact that generally travellers have different expectations these days. You only have to look at the average YHA or SYHA hostel now compared to 40 years ago when you had to arrive under your own steam and expect to share a dorm with 15 snorers, sleepwalkers and nightmare artists.
It is a given that your average TGO Challenger is happy to camp in the middle of nowhere and take a trowel into the heather but I suspect that the likes of the Clova Hotel have worked out that there is more demand and therefore more money to be made renting out small rooms than there is running a bunkhouse.
There is obviously still a lot of outdoor enthusiasts looking for low end accommodation, I've dropped into a couple of MBA bothies lately and both were occupied but I guess at the end of the day it is all about making a living and renting out rooms is probably a better return in terms of pounds/square foot and year round occupation.
It is a shame that after the Glen Doll campsite and the SYHA hostel closed there is no accommodation in Glen Doll/ Clova apart from the few private club-huts and the Hotel.

I wonder if it begs the question of whether including the Angus glens in the Cairngorms National Park has actually had a detrimental effect on the availability of accommodation.
I understand the Glen Isla Hotel also recently shut down unexpectedly. http://www.glenisla-hotel.com/

I'm sorry to hear that the Kirkton of Glenisla hotel has shut down. I really enjoyed my lunch there in 2016. Does anyone know what has happened?

I stayed at Kirkton of Glenisla in 2016, it was lovely, comfortable, good food, and lively; seemed well supported and a good atmosphere. A stopping place on the Cateran Trail too. A shame it has closed, hope it's something that can be sorted out.

From what I can gather the place is owned by some property company based in London and they don't have a drinks license and the couple who managed the place and acted as licensees suddenly decided they didn't want to do it anymore for some reason.
It is a shame because the place across the road which was also a good boozer also shut down and is now a private house.

Oops....looks like I copied the wrong link (it was Michelle who put up a post about the bunkhouse)

Looking at the plans, the drying room is now a mere cupboard half the size of a shower

"Letter from America" now ear-worming itself through ny brain. I wouldn't mind so much (love the song) if I I could remember the order if the "No mores" without looking it up. :)