​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trip report blog (Shiel Br. to Stonehaven)

Thank you Marc - hope you enjoyed the challenge!

I think our routes must have been quite similar after the ruins of Coignafearn.

All the best,

Rob.

Very enjoyable wite up and pictures of a varied route.

Hi Rob. Thanks for sharing and filling in the blanks. Remember your uncertainty about going SW from Cougie and glad to hear you were re-United with your sleeping mat!

Hi Ian,

It turned out fine, thanks. The route was actually quite easy but the fact I was going slightly west and I saw nobody was a bit demoralising! I picked that route as part of a FWA that would join on to the clear weather route.

I'm guessing your walk from Cougie went OK. Hope you enjoyed the challenge!

Cheers,

Rob.

Thanks, Willie!

Hi Rob,

That was good to read your blog and see the route you took for the Challenge.It looks like you didn't take an "easy" route for your first crossing!
It was also good to say hello to you at the Park Hotel, and I hope you enjoyed walking across Scotland as much as I did.

Regards,
Ian Bradley

Hi Ian (Bradley),

Thanks for reading the blog! Well, I enjoyed most of the crossing, thanks!

Best of luck in future crossings.

Rob.

Just a technical point, the chip shop on the front in Stonehaven is The Bay Fish & Chips, which I think most people agree is the best Chipper in Stoney, and we are lucky to have several excellent ones. The Bay was voted the best chipper in the UK in 2013. It does not however claim to be the origin of the Deep Fried Mars Bar, that belongs to The Carron Fish Bar near The River Carron in the town centre. It used to be known as The Haven.
I assume that you also got your ice-cream from Aunt Betty's next to the Bay. I suggest that one of their ice-creams with all the toppings is an ideal objective to walk across Scotland for. I'm surprised that you didn't go for all the toppings, they go wild with marshmallow, Maltesers, Jazzies, flake, wafers etc.
The garden centre restaurant must have been the tea shop that you were pointed to, there are no other places in Fetteresso that serve food & drink

Thank you Brian!

I have updated my blog to reflect your information about the origins of the deep fried Mars Bar!

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks to those who informed me that it was Ian Shiel who we saw near the ruins of Coignafearn. I didn't realise at the time that he was passing on our numbers to challenge control.

I have updated my blog with this information.

Thank you Ian!

Rob.