​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Here's to the reluctant onlookers

Stan Appleton
Lovely sentiments Gordon. As I sit here typing with one hand my thoughts will be with those heading out on their adventure, particularly the first-timers. You only have one first time so savour the whole experience.
I know so many of this year's walkers know what it's like to sit out a TGO, having taken their turn in the past. I hope this year's crossing makes up for past disappointments.
I'll miss the challenge, the scenery, the people, old and new, and the welcome found in so many communities.
I won't miss the wet feet, the anxiety of eaking out my fuel which I underestimate every year, nor standing on Preston station at midnight thirty waiting for the sleeper.
It will be a few months before I'm allowed near a rucksack again or to pitch my Notch, light my Stormin' cooker, and slip into my PHD bag, but the very thought is making my eyes water and my tongue to drool.
Have a good one folks. I'm sure I can join with Gordon in hoping to see you all next year.

Hi Stan, I hope your shoulder is recovering well. The Challenge is special and to miss out on it (having been successful in the draw) - for whatever reason - is an experience I hope the great majority of folk will not have to repeat.

Like you, I am looking forward to getting back out as soon as circumstances permit.

I have enjoyed the Social Hiking Pages and I hope to meet up with those who I am following - and know; and those who I am following - and don't know.

I hope we both make the draw next year for the Challenge.

Hi Gordon. Our paths met many time on our walks on the TGO. I think you mentioned me on your 2011crossing notes. I completed 5 crossings from 2007. The problem I have is that every year at this time I follow the crossing on the TGO website, and wish I were there. My last crossing was 2012 . On the September of that year I was diagnosed with angina and in April 2013 went through a triple heart bypass op. Unfortunately this was not successful and has 5 stents inserted into the old ticker September 2016. This was not completely succesful and I require another stent to put me right, this will happen in June. I miss the TGO so much it's hard to explain to someone who had never completed any long distance walking. I miss wild camping, I miss the comradely at the bottlenecks especially Braemar and Loch Callater. My intention this year is next week to go to Braemar on the Saterday or Loch Callater to meet up with the current batch of walkers and hopefully they will tell off their stories of the crossing so far. I can only dream. Roll on next week. My brother in law Andy Durward who completed 14 crossings will also be with me. Good to see you are still involved and that Mrs Green makes a full recovery.

Hi Lawrei,

When I read your post my mind flew back to 2011 - the year it rained every day on the TGO.

I recalled every day (before I re-read my blog post). Some Challenges stick in your mind more than others.

That evening I met your and Scott I was on my way to Culra Bothy and the two of you were camped a couple of K's before Bealach Dubh.

I know we had a chat and I eventually continued on my way.

To this day I can't get over the fact that Scott was walking with a busted ankle!

I'm sorry to read that you have have a few issues with your ticker! I hope the stent operation in June goes well.

Great that you will be meeting up with folk on this year's crossing. I did that in 2010 when I didn't get on through the draw.

The Social Hiking pages have been a new thing for me. Great to follow a number of folk I know and especially to follow Rich, Matt and Jason, Richard and Rosie who started from Plockton - where I would have started. We had all planned our first days, more or less the same.

As you say, it is hard to convey what backpacking long distances does to your mind and body. I hope that after your next operation you will be more mobile and able to get out on some walks.

I hope to get up to Scotland later this year as I have a number of Munros yet to climb. I may even have to go up when the flying vampires are about. That is, of course, once my wife is more agile about the house etc. She's improving well.

And there's always next year's Challenge: at least I have my route plan ready....

All the best Lawrei.