​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rucksack Weight

I don't know about Howard, but I myself have three main reasons for making my rucksack weigh approximately 14 kg with 4(-5) days' food:
1. I have heavyweight gear: my rucksack is 1.9 kg, my tent 1.2 kg, my stove almost 400 g and so on.
2. I might carry a bit too much food, but I'm lactose intolerant and I don't eat meat, so I need to bring at least some of my own and not rely on what I could find locally
3. I might have too much stuff . But I hate being wet and cold (hence my heavier rainshell rather than the lighter but a more unreliable one, and a down jacket and not just a fleece or similar) and I' ve never gone on a two week hike before, so for the first time ever I've packed four pairs of socks (and not just two like normally), footcream etc. just to be prepared. There's this saying "the more comfortable the more uncomfortable" meaning that the less you carry the more comfortable you are whenwalking, but it can bite you in the butt at camp if you're lacking in comfort. And vice versa!

I'll soon see how wrong my choice was I guess...

Minna, from Finland
(Already up here in Edinburgh, anyone else around?)

Hmmmm - after all I wrote above, I've finished packing and weighed, and it's lighter than usual! About 11kg, with just a few snacks to add. Now panicking about what I've forgotten.....maybe I'm just going to freeze.....

There are other factors to be taken into account. My rucksack is a whisker under 10kg with 3 days food but no water.

However, I am carrying 4.5kg more elsewhere than last year, so it all balances out!

On Megabus to Glasgow - just passed the Montrose turning to could just have got off! Lol.
Pack 8.8kg with no food, currently
12.8kg with 5 days food. Don't carry water, just scoop it up.
Starting at Ardrishaig with first resupply point st Ardlui after 7 Grahams and 2 Corbetts.
Good weather about to break by the looks of it...
Good crossing to all.

Like Jean, I'm an old hand at this lark (10 successful crossings off 11 starts, with a variety of interesting adventures and escapades along the way). My starting kit weight, with plenty of food but water bottles empty, is 14kg.

I am happy carrying that.

I believe I have everything I need to be safe and comfortable, and to enjoy my crossing whatever the weather may hurl at us (and, at some point or another, you can be sure that it will!)

I will go slowly and steadily. Take my time, Use the available daylight. Enjoy my surroundings. Following the very sage advice I received from the Twin Towers on my first crossing, many many moons ago.