​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pack weights

David,

I don't think you fully understand your new roll as Mr Lambert and Mr Sloman's carer. It might be a good idea to have a word with their old carer Mr Walker.

Ian C.

I always endeavour to adopt the Walker / Lambert approach to pack weight, just shrug (when NOT wearing it, obvs) and say "que sera sera - whatever 'twill be 'twill be".

But THEN ... well ... I have those luggage scales just sitting there in the hall and it's soooooo tempting just to load up and see. Out of idle curiosity, you understand ...

Back in 2000 when I tackled the Great Outdoors Challenge for the first time, my pack weight was about 22kg. But then I was young then (a mere child of 32!) and I couldn't afford shedloads of ultra-lightweight gear.

A ruthless process of getting rid of everything (except emergency gear ... ) that I've faithfully carried year on year without ever actually using has got me down in recent yours to somewhere round the 14-15 kilo mark. I've nearly finished putting everything in the pack again, and I could swear that it's feeling lighter than in previous years.

What have I forgotten to pack???

Jeremy Burrows

I once forgot my Waterproof Coat

Andrew W
Jeremy Burrows

I once forgot my Waterproof Coat

That's nothing ... I once REMEMBERED my maps ... all the way to the Bree Louise ... and then got on the Sleeper without them!!!

So, just packed it.
All up, with food for 3½ days 11kg.
And I chucked some extra stuff in :-O