​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pack weights

Hi Fred and Sue,
I did the TGOC last year for the first time and my dry pack weight (less food, fuel & water) was 10.5kg. With 4 days of food and 2L of water I was carrying about 16kg. That was fine for me (46 years old, serving soldier, body of a Greek god etc etc), but I found there was stuff I didn't use, I have brought lighter kit since and also discovered MYOG. I'm not doing TGOC this year but my dry pack weight is now 7.4kg. In short, you kinda need to do a long walk to find out what you need to take for a long walk! From what you have said, you are starting with a decent pack weight which will only get lighter for TGOC 18! Don't forget you can probably post stuff back home if you find you don't need it along the route. Have a great crossing! :)

Still. Too. Much.

edit.
I mean MINE is, not Fred and Sue's.

I wish I knew at this stage, how much my full pack will weigh. Very disorganised - oh my goodness!

Also wish I had the body of a Greek god. Think on my first challenge it was 18kg - eek! Think it was about 12kg without food last time. After witnessing my pleasure at receiving some very light tent pegs yesterday, my wife states she is considering manufacturing a line in ultralight, invisible clothing... If you don't feel warm enough in it, you're not wearing it properly. I feel like she may be taking the mick here...

All right,
So I won't mention the weight of my pack , taboo :-). But it will be so much less than the first time I went walking. I had a Lowe 60 + 20 later backpack, filled to the brim with all straps extended, two side pockets and a bin bag on the outside.

I was young then (40..) and walked the West Highland Way in 5 days. Now I am 60 and the pack on my first TGOC will be about half the weight. Not that I am smarter, but you just can't wear that much clothes and read that much books :-)!

Andre

I am very fortunate this year. Previously I have done the Challenge on my own but not this time. I shall be with Alan Sloman and Lord Elpus. Thus, I can save 500gr or so by not taking any whisky. I have been assured my all who know them that they will happily share their flasks with me and, indeed, would be offended if I carried any myself as it would be a slight on their renowned hospitality.

David,

I don't think you fully understand your new roll as Mr Lambert and Mr Sloman's carer. It might be a good idea to have a word with their old carer Mr Walker.

Ian C.

I always endeavour to adopt the Walker / Lambert approach to pack weight, just shrug (when NOT wearing it, obvs) and say "que sera sera - whatever 'twill be 'twill be".

But THEN ... well ... I have those luggage scales just sitting there in the hall and it's soooooo tempting just to load up and see. Out of idle curiosity, you understand ...

Back in 2000 when I tackled the Great Outdoors Challenge for the first time, my pack weight was about 22kg. But then I was young then (a mere child of 32!) and I couldn't afford shedloads of ultra-lightweight gear.

A ruthless process of getting rid of everything (except emergency gear ... ) that I've faithfully carried year on year without ever actually using has got me down in recent yours to somewhere round the 14-15 kilo mark. I've nearly finished putting everything in the pack again, and I could swear that it's feeling lighter than in previous years.

What have I forgotten to pack???

Jeremy Burrows

I once forgot my Waterproof Coat

Andrew W
Jeremy Burrows

I once forgot my Waterproof Coat

That's nothing ... I once REMEMBERED my maps ... all the way to the Bree Louise ... and then got on the Sleeper without them!!!

So, just packed it.
All up, with food for 3½ days 11kg.
And I chucked some extra stuff in :-O