​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DORNIE Starters.

So peeps, depending upon weather (which is currently looking damp for Fri to Sun (but that's a week away)), which way are you heading?

Just being NOSEY :-)

I'm planning Carnach and then up to Loch Nan Mhurchaidh (ish)

Re: DORNIE Starters.

Let me guess.

Generally Eastwards?

Hey Slow Man, don't be unkind, it's a perfectly fair question. After all, from Dornie a kayak would help (or maybe a broomstick for me......) Otherwise off-road choices are a bit limited, and may be unpredictable.

I tried to be inventive in my Dornie year, and found my initial route plan discouraged by a large, close herd of somewhat unfriendly-looking cattle in a sea of mud, and later a deer fence that sagged at such an impossible angle when I tried to climb up it that I had a depressing detour on Day 1.

All the fun of the Challenge, of course!

alan.sloman
Let me guess.

Generally Eastwards?

WELL, EASTWARDS!
That would be great compared to starting WEST (as we did from OBAN), or that route of Mr Lamberts that took us NNE for 6 days I believe

Anyway, it appears from replies, that everyone else starting in Dornie has no bloody idea what route they are doing.

I mean, you'd think that the Vetters and Control would have looked into that.

Oi! I heard that, Walker!

That was a jolly fine route, that was. Admittedly it got us no closer the east coast for a few days. And we did start out by heading west. But ah, the snow, the blizzards, the bothy nights featuring the White Album at Meanannach, and Luib Chonnal (with wine and cheese brought in by Alastair).

Then, sadly, it all went downhill. We headed east.

Phil Lambert
Oi! I heard that, Walker!

That was a jolly fine route, that was. Admittedly it got us no closer the east coast for a few days. And we did start out by heading west. But ah, the snow, the blizzards, the bothy nights featuring the White Album at Meanannach, and Luib Chonnal (with wine and cheese brought in by Alastair).

Then, sadly, it all went downhill. We headed east.

IT WAS INDEED A MIGHTY CHALLENGE.

Even plunging knee deep into bog on the way to Tulloch Station, the worrying railway bridge crossing, and the Crazy Deliverance type conurbation and then twiggy forest hell the following day.

Ah... You have to bloody love the Challenge.

I may have to come back into the fold and become the 4 musketeers.

Unless someone can talk me out of this Annual Insanity