​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Restless in Haarlem

Hi Andre,

I'm still coming to terms with the fact I even get to take part! But yes, the excitement is starting to creep in! The realization that I'm actually going to do it and hopefully manage to finish it! It will be super awesome!

Have fun on the Challenge!
Katrin

Hi Andre and Others!

I am getting rather restless now. The next few weeks will fly by and before I know it I will be flying to Glasgow Airport from Exeter airport. Like you I am looking forward to the solitude.

My prep has gone well, I've just completed a multi day trek across the whole of Dartmoor from North to South. Physical training was going well until I pulled my knee slightly during a very long trek across Dartmoor on a different day prior when I really pushed myself to test some of my physical limits. The knee and sore ankle will be all (if not almost fully) healed by the time it's the start of the challenge.

Gear is pretty much sorted just a final decision on a couple of garments. Though having done so much wild camping and multi day trekking on Dartmoor and around the Devon and Cornish coastlines my kit list is pretty much there now.

Having never done a multi day trek over this many days is causing a bit of the ol' jitters, but more for worrying about something going wrong that is out of my control that might cause me to fail.

Hope everyone's prep is going well and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the end!

Hi Andre,

I cant beleive its about two weeks to go till the challenge!

Well here in Scotland, we are experiencing a winter blast- plenty of fresh snow today, but temperatures at set to rise again towards the end of this week, so I hope the snow will melt quickly!
This past few months have flown by- I have been doing plenty of short weekend backpacking trips to get used to carrying my pack etc, that is apart from this past two weeks or so as I have been struck down by a bad cold, but Im on the road to recovery now!

Where are you starting and finishing your challenge?

Gavin

We are also preparing for a first time crossing and have chosen a challenging route. I had a knee ligament strain not long ago, and must admit it has added a little too much excitement than was perhaps necessary to my challenge prep.

I don't think it will really kick in until we are at our overnighter before day 1, but there is something to be said for pushing out of your comfort zone and trying something a little different - and very few hikers put together whole routes over these sorts of distances, which is what attracted us to the TGO in the first place.

I've been collecting the last few bits of kit, and am currently dehydrating various meals to bring with me (some of them may even be edible). Expecting a heavier bag than I'd like, but being as it's a first crossing, I'm taking some additional items, and I'd rather not get the tarp out just yet.

Our route is fairly remote and high level, so we will see how the challenge develops, remain flexible, and we hope to meet many of you at the watering holes along the route!

Hi Tom,
Another first-timer, and like me you will be going high. We will be going out of our comfort zone :-)....

See you at the watering hole!

Andre

Hi Gavin,
I hope the recovery goes well! My path leads me from Strathcarron to St.Cyrus. Most of it is new territory for me, apart from Braemar where I have planned a glorious half-day rest :-).

Yesterday we had quite a bit fa hail over here, while the weather forecast for Scotland was quite good believe.

What's your route?

Andre

Hi Andre,

Our route starts in Shiel Bridge, through Glen Affric and over to Fort Augustus.

From there we hea over the Corrieyairick pass and then onto Newtonmore before crossing over to Glen Feshie and through to Braemar.

There on if its good weather we will climb over the hills from Glen Callater to Loch Muick and over to Tarfside, then heading down the Glen to Edzell and finishing in Montrose.

That sounds good... Ggreat, all those walkers fining the courage and the enjoyment for such an endeavour...

See you on the hills!

Andre

It sounds like some of you may be extremely close to us, with a Dornie start then the northern ridge of Glen Affric being our preferred stomping ground. After that our routes seem to converge. You won't miss us, huge packs, bandana and shiny silver walking poles with red stripes!

They make you go faster doncha'know