​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Golite rucksack?

I love my Osprey Exos, lightweight, comfortable, hip pockets, proper lid, but my only experience of Golite was a Jam and a Pinnacle, neither of which suited me for backpacking...

Hi Marion, I used an Osprey Talon 44 S/M back length successfully for 3 TGOCs and still use it for backpacking when I need something more robust than the Mariposa I now use on the Challenge. It weighs about 1.05kg carries really well, and has a much bigger capacity than the figure suggests. I also sling a 13 li. stuff sack underneath it to carry either my tent or extra provisions. That system accommodated all my needs for nearly a month in Sweden including an 8 day trek in Lappland last summer. When the first Talon 44 I had bought in ?2008 finally split down the cloth (probably UV damage) I went out and bought the same again.

Depending on your ease of access to outdoor stockists to feel and try on rucksacks, the other ones I would recommend are the Lowe-Alpine range. I use a Lowe-Alpine Airzone 45/55 li as a day pack for winter and find it excellent.

Another vote for Osprey! The Exos is a really flexible pack - you can configure it several ways, and comes in three back lengths. I've on the TGO for eight years, and also for extended trips in the Spanish/French Pyrenees and the French Alps. Is Tardis-like, and I've been able to carry up to ten days food + all the gubbins with no probs. Compresses down really well, robust construction and the Airspeed suspension keeps your back dry. Highly recommended.

Direct link is here

Thanks Kirsten and Hump3, seems like I've got to find an Osprey stockist and check them out. I think I discounted them in the past because I didn't like the frame/back system, but perhaps I can take it out and put a Fformat in instead.
I think I have found Lowe Alpine to be a bit heavy and lacking hip belt pockets but I'll check out their latest offerings too.

Have you looked at the Nigor Zero G? Not too dissimilar to the Quest in many ways, and a very similar back system if I recall.

Sorry Marian,
You're just too late; I donated my Karrimor Jaguar to the local scout group just the other day.

" I donated my Karrimor Jaguar to the local scout group just the other day."

I've got a Karrimor Totem Senior on a K2 frame still in usable condition. I'm afraid the hip belt would be a little tight for me these days.

Brian, don't you start....I do sometimes regret being wed to Mr Karrimor!

John D, LOL you did right: you should see the pile of mouldering Karrimor relics we've got in the shed! Trouble is, some of them went on first ascents, like Everest etc.....I only wish Mike had made a short-backed OMM pack, as we've piles of those as well but I can only use them for light loads.

John S, thanks for the suggestion, they certainly look suitable if I can find a short-backed one, so I'll follow it up.

Re: Osprey back lengths.
I'd strongly recommend that you have your back length measured, preferably by an Osprey dealer, before you part with your dosh.

It really is critical to comfort.

I bought two Osprey packs on the recommendation of others but found them uncomfortable simply because my back length was incorrectly measured.
I'm now a happy bunny because my latest Osprey pack(s!) fit perfectly.

Thank you all for useful input and ideas. At the moment we are attempting a DIY mending job on my old Quest, but with the potential back-up of buying an Osprey that fits my short back, as a last-minute solution, since there seem to be plenty in the shops around here. I am training with an Osprey of Mike's that doesn't fit me, too long, so I can't wait to get back into something comfortable.
Hope you all have a great crossing, those that are 'on' this year; looking forward to seeing some of you along the way!

Hi Marian, I am also very attached to my Golite Quest rucksack. I had mine mended by Scottish Mountain Gear, who did a very good job for a reasonable price. Might be worth considering.