​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas in Grantown-on-Spey

Hi all,
My research tells me that is nowhere that sells gas cartridges in Grantown. Does anyone know any different?
Thank you.

Re: Gas in Grantown-on-Spey

I encountered the same problem three years ago, finding the whole place to be rather spartan for supplies in general. I even struggled to get a phone signal. Mind you, I didn't search too hard for gas as I thought I had sufficient to see me through (and I did - just). If you could find an ironmonger or hardware store, you'd probably be able to secure one of those inconvenient long cylindrical cans which fit paint strippers.

Sadly, Grantown has seen better days.

Sorry, that doesn't help much.

Colin

Hi Emma,
I've always found that a 230g gas cylinder does me for the 2 weeks and some over. I used to carry a 100g cylinder and leave one in a supply dump halfway, but have found that the larger cylinder holds pressure better and is more economical. My weighings are that a full 230g gas is 0.381kg and a full 100g gas is 0.195kg. A nearly empty 100g cylinder is 0.105kg. I guess it depends on your cooking equipment too, but I've not run out yet and of course the cylinder gets lighter as you go.

Thank you, Kirsten and Colin, and for the kind offers have I have received. At the moment, I am just trying to weigh up my options. (D'you see what I did there?)

You might all be interested to know that Karen from the Grantown-on-Spey Caravan Park just told me that they stock gas cartridges at their shop.

I was going to mention that there was a caravan site. There was a hardware store, Donaldsons, on the main street. According to Google maps it was still there in Sept 2016 with a big Calor Gas sign in the window.

A friend that works in Grantown suggested Donalsons. Their number is 01479 872798. It sounds as if you are sorted though.

Hi Emma
I live in Grantown-on-Spey and have just checked in Donaldsons. They have Gaz, screw type and the ones that look like aerosols. The smallest screw type is the 220g size. Hope that helps.
Any other queries about Grantown do get back to me
Mike

Thank you, everyone, for your kind help.