​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gear Lists

Rich
Hi David, here's my list.

Oh no! Not another Primula fiend.

Can't get enough of the stuff Emma!

David Williams
What is it about today's Challengers? Hardly a 2017 gear list to be found on the internety thing. This walking to get fit is all well and good but surely the best preparation for a successful crossing is publishing a decent spreadsheet for the rest of us to comment upon?

TBH I can't be bothered.

My gear will weigh less than what I carried last year.

Gordon you won't publish a list due to all the new gear you got, despite saying there will be no new gear buying before the Challenge.

Martin Rye
Gordon you won't publish a list due to all the new gear you got, despite saying there will be no new gear buying before the Challenge.

He can't remember how much new gear he bought this year, cos he is like well seriously old init!

Martin Rye

Remind me who it is who buys " the best (insert backpacking gear) " only to sell it on when the next " best ever ( insert backpacking gear) " comes along. 😂😂😂

BTW I did buy a new Tramplite pack which is rather good.

Best is somewhat seasonal I find. We always seek to better and refine the comfort kit affords our outdoor experience. Plus nabbing a bargain Crux down top is always worth breaking no new gear commitments ;)

I shall shortly NOT be publishing my Gear List.

Hey... Listen, it's MY gear list OK.

You want a gear list, make your own up.
Anyway, my gear is mine alright.
All of it.

Hands off!

Here's mine!

This should be just about everything I'll be bringing. It will, of course, get updated if anything changes.

No fleece or synthetic insulation Brian? You going to be warn enough if your Montbell gets wet?

It's never been an issue before. Although I may have just cursed myself . Depending on the weather forecast I could include a fleece.

Must admit, Sod's Law does apply. If you take it, likely as not the sun will shine and you'll be sweating bricks.

I was at work yesterday when commenting so I couldn't go into too much detail, so here goes...

My down jacket has never gotten wet in all my backpacking time, including the Challenge last year (knock on wood). I get too hot hiking in it, so it's always safely tucked away in a dry bag at the top of my backpack.

On breaks or at camp, if there is a chance of it getting wet it's always under my rain shell. Warmth on breaks typically is my long sleeve shirt (thicker material than a normal lightweight base layer) and rain jacket for wind protection or if it's a bit too cold for just the long sleeve shirt. I typically run hot so unless it's an exceptionally long break I'm typically ok with just the long sleeve shirt, my rain jacket, or a both.

So far it's worked for me.

Looks impressive Brian, what about camera, maps, and consumables?

Oh yeah, forgot the camera. Not totally sure which one I'm bringing so it will be added later, as well as the maps. I don't typically add consumables, as this is just so I know where I am for my base weight.

I have a few kit lists written (pen and paper) out aide-memoires for various types of trip: overnight / weekend / multiday / summer / winter etc etc, they list all the bits of kit I know I'm going to need.

Although the lists remain the same, the individual items of kit may change from time-to-time eg: on last year's TGOC I took my old Rab Photon Hoodie as an insulating layer, this year I'll still have an insulating layer but it's likely to be a my new down jacket.

My TGOC pack weighs around 12kg with 3 days of food and a little water.