​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cape Wrath Query

At last, I have a pub anecdote! Holding up Joint Warrior exercises off Cape Wrath. And all this time I thought I'd put the kibosh on some daily naval routine. I always wondered why the blokes who picked me up had rather a lot of gold braid on!

I walked out that way in November a couple of years ago after getting stuck for two days at Cape Wrath in a Force 10. The guy at the lighthouse advised me to take a rough track starting at NC 366 662 which apparently runs along just below the ridge of Beinn an Amair. Needless to say I lost it completely within half an hour by coming down too low on the hill. When I did reach the bridge there was evidence of a bit of a track heading NNW in the direction of the lochan at NC 344 639. The bridge was only just holding up then. I also found the burns to be pretty hard to cross lower down the hill as they ran in deep rocky gullies and were in spate.

I'm afraid Joint Warrior scuppered my plans and I came out via Sandwood, so no comment on the other way out. That'll teach me to believe a Government website.

Many thanks for all your advice. I hope Plan A works (good weather & tide: minibus and ferry to carpark and family pick-up) rather than plan B - long, arduous walk out. However, another day in Scotland.... better than being at work!

Good luck with the trek Lindy, let us know how you get on. I'm planning to do the Cape Wrath trail in May, at the same time as the Challenge. I'm hoping to bump into one or two challengers on my way north!