​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A question... waterproof or non waterproof trail shoes or boots

Beware using open toed sandals for river crossings as you're at high risk of jamming your toes under a rock if you slip and having broken toes. Use closed toe sandals or lightweight running shoes would be my advice.
Personally I like dry feet and use conventional mid hiking boots, especially as I frequently go up obscure hills across bogs. Having constant wet feet for 2 weeks does not appeal!

Yes indeed, each to their own! Whatever grows your toes! As a Werewolf of The Upper Dulnain, I find that these hit the spot for me.

Tho', frankly, right now I'm more concerned with sourcing waterproof mascara! here's a selection to choose from . . .

The very best to all Challengers!

Lindy Griffiths
When I come to a river crossing, if I can't get across by rockhopping I strip down to an old pair of very light Mountain Equipment sandals, which I also wear around camp etc.

Is that JUST the sandals Lindy?

Yes, a topic bringing out many differing opinions!

The key fact to remember is that "waterproof" is a relative term. Nothing stays dry in the very worst conditions when they continue for days on end, and of course, feet sweat, so even the sturdiest of boots get at least damp inside.

My choice is a pair of lightweight boots, Salomon Quest 4D GTX, which are very comfortable, supportive on rough terrain, will keep me dry in average conditions but do eventually soak through when it's bad, plus a pair of light textile shoes that I can cross burns in if necessary, I can wear around camp, or even for a few miles on my route for a change while boots air off. I've used Merrel Pacers for a couple of years but intend taking a pair of Inov-8 295s this time despite the slightly greater weight.

My least favourite thing on the Challenge is having to put on cold wet socks and boots in the morning, but, hey, it has happened sooner or later every year for the last six and my feet do warm up after a mile or so. Whatever you choose to wear in the daytime, make sure you have one pair of warm dry socks to put on at night.

Altra Lone Peak 3.0

Anyone experience with the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 running shoes or mid ?

Re: Altra Lone Peak 3.0

I will be wearing Altra Lone Peak 3.0 shoes this year. I have gone for the non-waterproof option having worn similar Inov8 Roclites or Terrocs on recent crossings. They do have a Neoshell version in a shoe and mid, though how long they would stay dry I wouldn't like to say. I find that non-membrane shoes do dry out, whereas ones with a membrane stay wet a long time one saturated!

Altberg for me - our sponsors boots for Sue.
Never tried anything but leather boots.Don't even change for evening.
Admit not changing for river crossings sounds attractive but fear that wet feet invite blisters which I'm not brave enough to walk with for 13 days.
Enthusiasts claim "they dry out really quickly" - yeah - only if it stops raining!