​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What about cash?

Fitness..... check!
Route vetted... check!
Gear.... almost check....

But what about paying along the way... Are there cash machines in Drumnadrochit and Kingussie? How much will the ferry across Loch Ness cost? What are the chances of paying meals with a card?

Your help is much appreciated,

Greetings from Holland,
Andre Hilhorst

Re: What about cash?

Hi
There are cash machines in Drumnadrochit and Kingussie and most other but the tiniest of places, some where you least expect it.
The ferry is definitely cash only, might be around £20 a head? But it's a couple of years since I went that way and I could quite easily be wrong...
Most food establishments take card payments. A little research of the places you're planning to visit will probably give you the answers. Some small B&Bs (if you gave the odd night of comfort planned) only take cash or cheque, but usually tell you if you've booked in advance.
Research. Part of the fun of planning

As Louise says, there are ATMs in most towns and villages.

However, if there isn't an ATM around, any Post Office will give cash at the counter. Just say how much you need, pop your bank debit card (not credit card) in the machine when asked and tap in your pin.

It's like using an ATM, but with a real person dispensing the notes!

Andre - I will double check at my PO about European debit cards and let you know.

Ah yes Phil! I had forgotten about the Post Office!

That's great, thank you Louise and Phil!

I expect the debit card will work, it's a Maestro card that will work in ATM's almost everywhere. But when I can get cash in Drumnadrochit and Kingussie (and I know for sure in Braemar) I'll be alright.

Greetings,
Andre