​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trailstar/Trail Blazer Combo

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased an MLD Trailstar. I’m thinking of using it on the TGO instead of my tried and tested Vango Force 10 Helium 200. I usually walk with Mountain King Trail Blazers (120cm) walking Sticks. The question is, are they up to the job of supporting the Trailstar if the weather turns nasty?
I’ve only had a couple of nights out with the Trailstar, one with light winds, and the Trail Blazers seemed to cope just fine. But I’m concerned that they won’t be able to cope with stronger winds that are possible on the TGO. Has anyone had any experience with the Trailstar/Trail Blazer combination in stormy weather ?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Trailstar/Trail Blazer Combo

Hi Mark,

I've used a Trailstar for the past 4-5years in some very windy conditions (~50mph) using a range of different walking poles. I've used some cheapo/b-stock ALPKIT poles, Lekis, alloy Pacer Poles and now some Carbon ones. I've never had one fail, the main thing is that there is equal tension on all peg outs and that the centre pole is vertical.

On some of the higher pitched mid style shelters where you're joining poles together or using pole jacks etc are more of a concern.

Although to be 100% confident I'd say test it well before the TGO.

Mark
I’ve recently purchased an MLD Trailstar. I’m thinking of using it on the TGO. I usually walk with Mountain King Trail Blazers (120cm) walking Sticks. The question is, are they up to the job of supporting the Trailstar if the weather turns nasty?
I’m concerned that they won’t be able to cope with stronger winds that are possible on the TGO. Has anyone had any experience with the Trailstar/Trail Blazer combination in stormy weather ?

Hi Mark.
I use fairly beefy Leki Ultralight Titanium poles with my Trailstar for two reasons. The top of the handle is well rounded and distributes the stress to the material of the Trailstar fairly evenly.

The poles (even though described as ultralight) are strong, and allow for varying pitching heights.

Looking at your poles, I would be concerned about the top of the handle's interaction with your Trailstar. The Mountain Blaze poles appear not to be variable in length, and on a very wild night you might prefer a lower profile to your Trailstar.

Nearly all the stresses from the skin of the Trailstar are transmitted down the centre pole. If that pole were to flex unduly you face the possibility of the fabric losing tension (the Trailstar is a tension structure) with the possibility of collapse; not what I would want to face on a stormy night.

However, we're going to have perfect weather this year!

Ditto re. top of the trailblazer poles. I'd be carrying half a tennis ball or something similar to put at the trailstar apex.

Also, don't forget the basket, and if they're the compact baskets you may need some sort of base plate for the tip as those compact baskets quite often sink into soft ground. I know Alan's used a drilled lid off a whiskey bottle tube in the past....works a treat.

Good point regarding the hight adjustment, one of the major benefits of the Trailstar is the ability to adjust the hight so I'd suggest looking at getting some flick lock poles, with smooth/wide handles or pack half a tennis/squash ball as already suggested.

Having used a TS and owned the Mountain King Trail Blazers (120cm) poles, I would say MOST definitely NO. Get some rigid flik lok poles. Also, depending upon weather & terrain, you will need to adjust the height of the TS.

Thanks all for your input and advice :-)

Best Regards,
Mark