​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thermal sleeping bag liner sea to summit

Just get a good duck down bag, I have a mountain equipment 500 fill and unless it is minus 10 which it won't you will be very snug, in fact last year i got over snug in the first week, but not quite boil in the bag uncle bens style. Iv never used a liner I just don't think it's needed. You will be surprised how compact they are once stuffed in a dry bag.

You may want to try not wearing anything but a warm hat inside, as Stef says, a really good duck down bag.
I've found this is a warmer option by far than liners or extra clothing. This tip was given to me by a fellow traveller on a Himalayan trek and I thought he was talking rubbish at first.
But i tried it and it works well for me.

Joy, your comment may be valid for some people but there is a problem in that body oils quickly contaminate the inside of the bag. Washing a costly down bag at home is not easy and not always successful. To have it done professionally is expensive. Wearing a long sleeve top, long-johns and thin socks goes a long way to preventing contamination of the bag.

I can't argue with that Peter. I just wash mine at home but it is a faff though it has always been successful so far.

Just smiling at the irony of Pete advocating the wearing of clothes. Seriously, a light silk liner will protect your down bag from the grubbiness that Challengers somehow manage to attract.

"Just smiling at the irony of Pete advocating the wearing of clothes." Only in the bag Stan!