​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Footbridge over river Garry into Blair Atholl.

The last time I accessed this useful bridge, after crossing the alarming A9, I walked in front of someone's house to find the path. Is there an access point alongside the A9? We would rather not upset anyone by meandering through their property and past their front door. All suggestions gratefully received,

Doug.

Re: Footbridge over river Garry into Blair Atholl.

Doug,
I've come across this bridge and recall a bit of grass between the river and the houses on Garryside, then just coming to the road. I've just looked on Google maps and it seems to be there in the satellite view but not map view. I don't know if this will work but try
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.7620345,-3.8480239,215m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hi Doug, as you walk along the grass verge of the A9, you will see a little stile over the crash barrier that indicates the start of the path to the bridge.

Well done to spot that little stile Emma! I really cannot remember if we found it when we went that way back in 2008. It was a long time ago and I'm finding memories increasingly elusive.

Anyway, based on your information I sought the wee stile out on Google Streetview and waddya know? There it is!!!

Waddya you know, indeed!

Luckily, Phil, I only had to cast my mind back to last May.

Just for the record ... if coming up the West bank from Garry Bridge, the roadway has been severely under-cut by the flooding and is closed (or at least, it was when I did this on the 2016 Challenge ... it may have been repaired since then, but I somehow doubt it). It was, however, a relatively easy detour to hop over the dry stone wall, walk a couple of hundred yards through the open woodland, and then re-cross the wall to regain the roadway.

Many thanks for the help on this little problem. It is no longer a problem! Happy walking to you all,

Doug Brown.