​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Camping on the Balmoral Estate

I'm thinking of camping near where the Connachat Burn meets the River Dee. The Event Details say you shouldn't camp in Glen Muick but don't mention the rest of the estate. However, I suspect campers are likely to be discouraged so close to Balmoral and, while I would be very discrete, I don't want to meet burly security people, especially if they don't arrive till after I've pitched the tent and make me move on.

Any advice, comments or experiences?

Vanessa

Re: Camping on the Balmoral Estate

Vanessa - I used to live in Braemar and I've never heard of anyone having problems, particularly whist the queen is not staying at Balmoral. It would be rare to even see an estate worker when walking in that area. It's not a common place for people to camp though - though that's no reason not to. I'll ask my brother who worked for years on the neighbouring Invercauld Estate what he thinks. The nearby Gharbh Allt falls and bridge are worth a visit for anyone that feels like a little detour.

Thanks, Willie, that's great.

My brother thinks much the same -

'As long as the royals are not around then unlikely to be a problem. As no security staff around. And just look for a discreet location should be okay!.'

So if an SAS man sticks his a gun into your tent, just blame him....

Thanks again, Willie. Let's hope Trump doesn't come to Scotland in May!