​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Release of cheap(er) Advance Train Tickets

I always rely on Trainline's email alert facility to let me know when cheap traintickets become available - around 12 weeks in advance of the journey date.

So far I've heard nothing from Trainline nor can I get any sense out of them.

What's the latest news on cheap advance tickets? Has anybody managed to get decent deals? I'm looking at Manchester > Mallaig.

Thanks all.

Re: Release of cheap(er) Advance Train Tickets

Yip, they've been released - well certainly on the Virgin Trains East Coast site

Yesterday I bought Berwick-upon-Tweed > Strathcarron for £14.60 (with split-ticketing, natch). Now I guess I have to start at Strathcarron . . .

John - Split tickets are your boy. The straight through fare is £77.20 - you can get up to Mallaig for £23.70. Here's how to make a £53.50 saving . . .

Using the Virgin Trains site, book two tickets. First ticket is Manchester Oxford Road to Glasgow Central. There's a change at Preston(arr 09:22, dep 09:41). Gets you in to Weegie Central at 12:01. Costs £8.60. Then a sprint over to Queen Street to pick up the 12.21 Challenger Special. Costs £15.10.

If you think this is a tad tight, then spend an extra £3.60 and take the 05:47 from Manchester to Glasgow. Change at Preston (arr 06:32, dep 06:40).

I got an alert for my Strathcarron ticket from trainline.com last Friday, went into the site about 5pm. and there was (supposedly) only 1 ticket left. I was in such a hurry to buy it that I forgot to get my senior Railcard discount! Still, I've saved about £52 so will not grumble.

I received notification for the majority of my split Advance Tickets (Doncaster-York, York-Newcastle, Newcastle-Edinburgh and Edinburgh-Inverness) on 24th January and for Inverness-Strathcarron on the 17th Feb so I'd imagine you have definitely missed out, John. In fact I'm expecting notification of the return tickets from Montrose sometime in the next week or so.

It's been unusual this year: on 17th February, The Trainline let me buy 2 tickets from Glasgow to Inverness on 11th May, for only £6.60 (including discount for 2 senior railcards), but only open tickets were available so seats weren't bookable. East Coast were not selling that date yet. So I kept an eye on both Trainline and Virgin E Coast, looked again today - paid £13.20 on Virgin East Coast for the 10.10 train with booked seats!
Of course, they say they are about to do away with all the confusing hotch-potch of different fares and split ticketing.
Anyone want to buy my ultra-cheap open tickets off me.....

Anyone want to buy my ultra-cheap open tickets off me.....

Yes please, Marian. I can never get a seat on Virgin Trains.

Strathcarron sounds like the hot place to start this year!

Not for us as we will be getting the bus to Torridon on the Friday for a late-ish start. An overnight stay at the backpackers hostel in Inverness means we won't be in Strathcarron until lunchtime.

Julie
Strathcarron sounds like the hot place to start this year!

Another Strathcarron starter here. All the best people y'know.
Booked through from Carlisle was £135
Split to 4 journeys was £40.70
Some connections are a bit tight at 9 and 6 minutes ,fingers crossed !

Thanks folks!

It seems that Trainline want to route me via Edinburgh - going the manual method of booking (IE I choose the different legs of the journey...via Glasgow) I've managed to get myself to Mallaig for norralot of dosh - and at sensible connection times.

See y'all, well most of y'all, at Glasgow!

:-)