​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Training and Getting Fit

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was particularly interested to hear what YOU do as opposed to what I should do! I will, no doubt, continue to do my own thing whether it is effective or not. It worked for my first three challenges but there are, I am sure, far better ways out there. I always wanted to know if anyone really does not do much in the way of preparation. It seems that Mr Lambert takes this approach, him not owning a dog! I suspect he will still walk the legs off me come May when we leave the Strathcarron Hotel together. Together, that is, if he and Mr Sloman have not abandoned me before 9.00am on the Friday for being a lightweight on Thursday evening.

One idea I did really like from the replies was John Sanderson's weekly walk, which is ALWAYS on same day so he doesn't dip out if the weather is not so good. Perhaps that should be part of my routine.

I have two terriers. Excellent for cross-training.

David, I set off for my first four Challenges carrying around 42 lbs more about my person than I do now and after having walked between 0-3.14 miles a day, 0-5 days a week, with a grand total of 26 feet of 'up' each walk... I survived all bar my third Challenge, from which I was forced to retire due to an unfortunate encounter with something furry that I was allergic to...
The last 2 Challenges I have had 42 lbs less about my person ( ) and have been walking around 25-35 miles a week, with a minimum total ascent of 300 feet. I have found the last two Challenges much easier. Well, apart from '15, when I sprained my ankle badly when blown off a peat hag (not enough ballast...) and then threw myself in a pot hole and knackered my right knee.
So, actually, being fit or unfit, doesn't make a lot of difference!

Hello David,
My preparation is quite low-key, and living in Holland there is not much hillwalking to get. But I do walk about 90-120 minutes each day. Combined with walks in the weekend that takes me to about 80 kms or 50 miles per week.

Add to this two sessions of fitness (30 minutes rowing machine, 30 minutes strength circuit) in each week, plus a long walk of about 20-40 kms each month to get me over the fatigue threshold. All this without a backpack at the moment....

I must say I feel much fitter since I started this regime. Time on the TGOC wil tell if it has served its purpose :-). Enjoy your preparation and I hope to meet you on the hills or over a pint!

Greetings from the Low Countries!

Such an individual question, and a lot of it depends on your existing fitness and choice of route. I'm a believer in the hike your own hike mantra, some people prefer gentle strolls through glens appreciating the wildlife, whilst others are ploughing up peaks until they collapse on their sleeping mat - and of course everything in between.

In general for LDW I'd say cardiovascular fitness is useful for challenging routes, yet the most useful I've found is mountain running over uneven ground, letting your ankles and knees strengthen.

Personally, my prep is more individual fitness, I do strength training 3x weekly, row daily, and we will do a couple of weekends away prior with full gear to test our kit choices and remove whatever is an excess.

I'd say the most useful prep is getting yourself out on overcast, rainy days and putting some serious miles under your boots. Everyone understandably tends to gravitate to the nicer days, and the psychology of being out in the middle of rain, high wind whilst still navigating and feeling warm and comfortable will make it easier to do later.