​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crossing the Monadhliath

Hi all,

I was looking over my planned route across the Monadhliath and comparing it to some wind farm maps, and it seems I plotted a path straight through a giant windfarm (Dunmaglass). Is Glen Mazeran the only reasonable option (for a 2nd-timer) of getting from Inverfarigaig to Aviemore and avoiding the wind farms? Is the Dumnaglass wind farm and/or others) visible from this route? I was looking at the latest map of wind farms, and I wasn't sure if the boundaries of the areas on the map were the boundaries of the actual turbines, or the area in which they are visible. Does anyone happen to know?

Highland wind farms Jan 2017

It also looks like a much longer route is possible that goes from Errogie south and then southeast between the Dunmaglass and Corriegarth wind farms, eventually reaching the Allt Creagach and the Findhorn river - is this a viable option?

Thanks!!
Susan

Re: crossing the Monadhliath

I'll email you some stuff, but in the meantime have a read of this from last year.

JJ

My 2014 crossing took me through Glen Mazeran https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/tgo-challenge-2014-summary/ I was captivated by Glen Mazeran and thoroughly recommend that route.

Yea well. Of course you could just embrace a full-on post-apocalyptic Mad-Max dystopian vision and fully engage with the Wind Factories . . . Hey, those haul roads make for easy walking. There are those who love the ghastly relics of polluted 19th century industry amongst the hills and get all warm and cuddly over lead-mines. Get a jump on them! Be first to explore 21st century artifacts! You know it makes sense.

Susan D
Is Glen Mazeran the only reasonable option (for a 2nd-timer) of getting from Inverfarigaig to Aviemore and avoiding the wind farms? Is the Dumnaglass wind farm and/or others) visible from this route? I was looking at the latest map of wind farms, and I wasn't sure if the boundaries of the areas on the map were the boundaries of the actual turbines, or the area in which they are visible. Does anyone happen to know?

Highland wind farms Jan 2017

It also looks like a much longer route is possible that goes from Errogie south and then southeast between the Dunmaglass and Corriegarth wind farms, eventually reaching the Allt Creagach and the Findhorn river - is this a viable option?

Thanks!!
Susan

Hi Susan.

The Highland Council wind farm map that you linked to is very good, as you can zoom right in and see the position of every single turbine, in relation to tracks and the topography as it uses O.S. 1:50k mapping.

Traveling via Mazeran will mean you will only see Farr wind farm, at a little distance, and not Dunmaglass.

There isn't really a route between Corriegarth and Dunmaglass that avoids seeing them up close, to either side of you as you struggle up the blasted hill, cursing the SNP.

Best of luck,
Alan

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful indeed. Glen Mazeran it is. I got the wind farm map from your blog, Alan – thanks. I didn’t realize how far you could zoom in. It took me quite a while just to figure out how to get the legend to show. It’s a really good map – given an adept user (not me).

As, er, enticing as your idea sounds, Humphrey, I think I’ll save that for another year (or lifetime). I grumbled a tad bit about running into numerous access roads that weren’t on my maps last year. I’ll take a bog and some peat hags instead...