​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best way to bring maps

ViewRanger.....great for getting a positioning fix when you come across a wet behind the ears TGO numpty whose been wandering aimlessly around a small woodland for the last hour trying to find the correct way out.

I was so glad to meet somebody with a phone!!

A4 sheets of my route printed off at 1:50,000 on standard paper.

Most stored in a re-sealable freezer bag in the hydration sleeve of my pack, along with my Route Sheet. The current day and next days A4 sheets in a rolled up LokSak attached to my shoulder strap by two loops of bungee (and the LokSak clipped to something with a length of 2mm cord, in case the wind decides to try and blow it away).

I also take a set of 1:50,000 map print-outs, but printed at 1:100,000 or greater so I get at least double the coverage (but the same level of detail) in case I wander off-route. I carry a small flexi magnifying glass in a hipbelt pocket to read these as the detail is very small.

Back-up is the whole lot on ViewRanger, with a couple of useful Apps thrown in on the phone (altimeter, OS Locate etc). The phone only ever gets switched on if I'm hopelessly lost, or have the sense that something just doesn't look right.

Wrestling with the same problem. I'm thinking of taking the OS 1:50 000 maps (probably trimmed to essentials plus a little extra) in my backpack, and using waterproof double-sided A4 printouts for actual walking. Since I don't have a printer, I'll be paying for a printing house to do it for me, and that means I need to save the maps in PDF and then send them to be printed out. I'd love to somehow get all the map sheets in a single file, or at least not be forced to save them all separately, as the facility I asked about the cost will charge 0,50 euros for each file in addition to the waterproof sheets and the actual printing.

At the moment the only online mapping software I have is the OS maps premium subscription and I'm not quite sure if their printing option is the best possible.

Okay, back to route-plotting (almost there...). Thanks for any advice in advance. I honestly didn't have a clue all this preparation woud be so time consuming! (and yet I love it!).

Minna / Finland, a first-time Challenger

Hi Minna, it's possible to combine all your pdfs in Acrobat, that's what you mean.

1.Within Acrobat, click on the Tools menu and select Combine Files.
2.Click Combine Files, and then click Add Files to select the files you want to include in your PDF.
3.Click, drag, and drop to reorder the files and pages. ...
4.When finished arranging files, click Combine Files.

By the way, where in Finland do you live? I've worked for Finnish company for 29 years, and lived over there for 2 years. I still travel over to Helsinki every month.

Hi John and thanks for the techno-tip - I like to think of myself as a fairly competent modern person, but sometimes it's just too much .

I live in Tampere, which is the third biggest city in Finland. I have many friends in Helsinki so I visit there quite often. Maybe after Challenge we can have a mini-meet in Helsinki .

Minna

Hi Minna,

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat, which is the paid version of their software, you can download PDF Split and Merge for free and use that to merge all the different PDFs into one file.

Thanks Brian

got one from the App store for 1€. Works like a train toilet (a Finnish saying meaning it works really well).

Minna