​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Footwear

Salomon Quest 4D GTX have done me very well on the last 6 Challenges and on numerous other non-winter long walks. No reason to change, I like ankle support but accept that my boots will get soaked sooner or later. I've used Merrel pacers (330g) as spare shoes for a few years, but think I'll take Inov 295s this time.

There is another thread on here about trail shoes, iv never tried them and i dont think i ever will, i like the ankle to give me complete support not to mention hard underfoot. some people swear by them but i know my feet will be aching after a short day especially over rugged terain. The best boots iv ever had are the Meindl Bhutan MFS pure comfort straight out of the box and everytimr you put them on. I guess if i was going to be persuaded i would give something like the salomon range or similar. Everybodys feet are different mine are delicate and the last thing i want is constantly thinking about them.

Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX. Used them on my last TGO and they were great. In fact I've done almost all my backpacking in a pair for a couple of years now apart from a disastrous try with trail shoes which left me minus 6 toe nails.

Only weak point I found with the Salomon is their grip in mud isn't very inspiring....but on all other surfaces they're great.

Heck, I'm loosing my mind.....can't even remember which threads I've responded to already !!