​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any skirt wearers out there?

A good selection here on eBay . . .

LOL. A luminous orange one for me then!

hi simon, Im not sure if it would work well with what the challenge can through at you sometimes, you are fare better
wearing over trousers believe me, I do have some experience with wearing one though, having done several challenges in my Kilt to which I used a home made waterproof kilt protecter out of plastic sheeting fastened with velcro, it worked well.

Hi Terry. Thanks for your response. Its good to get feedback from someone who actually wore one and can talk from experience rather than hypothesise ;). How did Stef do with his charity raising last year?

hi simon, he done very well, with every thing he manage to rase around a thousand pounds,

Not sure they would reach down to your gaiters. Just about keep your crotch dry.

Oh, Hmp3, you are awful........

I used one in 2016. The medium (length 28 inch) did reach below my gaiters. The longer rain kilt can restrict your stride. When opened up, it was also useful as a groundsheet in the tent vestibule. Quick and easy to put on in a hurry, if you keep it in jacket or hip belt pocket. Not the most "fashionable" piece of kit, but it worked on days when the rain came on and not too much wind (both mine and natures!)

Thanks for the feedback Brian. That's very useful. Would you use it again??

Yes, I would. As it has more than one use, and very little weight/volume to carry in your pocket/pack, for me it was worth it. Not taking part in the TGO Challenge this year, but hope to be back again next year. Good luck, it is a great walk and you meet some super people on your journey across Scotland!

Hello Brian, I qualified as a kilt wearer before, during and after the previous 2 challenges . I personally find overtrousers too warm and restrictive. I use a ULA rain kilt from https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ which is quick to put on and off, I did not find it restricting my stride as the length can be adjusted by moving the waistband up or down, simples. I have even used it in complete safety here in England of all places, but it does raise a few eyebrows at watering holes.

I am not 100% sure they would work for the Challenge for 2 weeks, but I've not tried one.
I can see that as a quick extra waterproof layer in a shorter rain shower, they could be a very useful item though.
Be interesting to test one and see.

This outfit may be overkill though...

They do work well in light rain, walking through long grass/bracken and in an emergency. However, you could be correct about its effectiveness in a howling gale in the Cairngorms. I did wonder if there is a red basque, made of silnylon and available online, to go with my high heels!!!

Hi Darren, that's where I bought mine from. Lovely bright green one! As I have said to Andy Walker, they may not be too effective in a howling gale in the Cairngorms, but for so little weight + size to carry, they are fine for most other eventualities.