​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stronelairg wind farm access

After reading the Challenge newsletter, I got in touch with SSE today and had a conversation with their liaison officer. They are having a meeting this week to decide access in May. They are aware that Challengers might want to use the reservoir road. While there is goodwill towards the Challenge, it sounds like there will be large vehicles using the track and there may be some safety issues. They will email myself and Sue & Ali when they have a clearer picture. I will post any news when I get it. In the meantime, I'm going to make contingency plans. It is probably advisable for others intending to use the Glen Doe reservoir track to do the same. I also suggested they post information on their web page.

Re: Stronelairg wind farm access

I'll make no comment on what I think of their ********* WindFarms.

A failing Technology, so let's build a load more :-(

BUT... If they don't come up with a +ve , then I am going to be re-thinking my route from Fort Aggie to Newtonmore.

Already have a B plan if needed.

I have had dialogue with the Access Officer, his reply is as follows:-

Access along your proposed route should not be restricted barring a possible delay if they are blasting.

You should have access up the main track serving Glendoe and Stronelairg but we’d ask that you do what you normally do; give way to vehicles, step off the road where possible and wait for staff to wave you on if you’ve felt you had to stop for any reason. They’re hoping to build a short section of path parallel to the road which you might take.

We’d also ask that you pop into the gate house where they’ll advise you to do much the same and may give you a leaflet. You might want to make sure that you’re easily seen too and you may even be offered a hi-vis vest.

As you’re heading out as far as the spring you’ll be passing through the main area of construction on the main track. There are one or two foundations near the track that they may be blasting so we’ve agreed that they ask you to hang on while that’s happening. Something to keep an eye out for – there will be plenty of warnings for their own staff too.

No problem about posting my response although we will be ironing out some of the details with SSE over the next week or two. The main thrust shouldn’t change though.

That sounds a bit more optimistic!

Stronelairg wind farm access - update

SSE have confirmed that there will be no access restrictions to the Stronlairig windfarm site during the Challenge. They ask that anyone passing through makes themselves known to the "Guard House" as they enter the site sto find out if there is blasting on their route.

So you can walk through the area but you can of course choose not to. If you want to adjust your route to avoid the area please send us an adjusted route sheet.

Re: Stronelairg wind farm access - update

I don't know if I'm the only one having the crazy idea to pop-by this area (alt. route ofc) to access the hills east of this place.

What's the latest updates on the build, is it even worth considering?

My advice is don’t bother. I did it last year and it was like going through Mordor. Worst day of my backpacking life. Here’s my account https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/tgo-challenge-2017-day-6/ The pictures don’t do justice as to how appalling it was. I’m never going there again!

At that time, how far did you have to go to clear the construction sites?
Looking at the maps there's turbines planned right next to where you camped.
http://sse.com/media/411271/Glendoe_And_Stronelairg.pdf

EDIT:
This map doesn't help either
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5ec04b13a9b049f798cadbd5055f1787

But then again that's old info but still interested as I missed that when planning my campsite. It's not a problem hiking longer but then again hard to tell how many viable spots there are east toward Cairn Ewen for example.

They stopped about 2km from where I camped but there may be more now. Seriously, it’s horrible. I’m sure someone else will have more up to date information. I’d rather do the Corrieyairick and get onto the ridge via Geal Charn the next day. Fair bit longer but you’d avoid hell.