​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gear

Hi John, I went for the Apex 167 in long. Used it a few times now, and with extra clothing, reckon it will be good well below zero degrees.

Last year I used a Jetboil Sol Ti (slightly stripped down) at 250g and I can cook in my TT Notch vestibule with no problems. I found a 110g cartridge lasted me 4 days (boiling water 3x daily). I wore a Rab Mountain Dru GTX jacket (648g XL) and was glad of it in the heavy rains and strong winds. I am going to replace it with an Alpkit Balance waterproof jacket (355g XL) because its lighter but still has a 3 layer shell with an impressive HH25k and MMVTR25K. I used a Rab Generator Smock (418g XL) and a Bear Ghrylls microfleece pullover (250g L), but I have now replaced these with the excellent Berghaus VapourLight Hypertherm Smock (177g XL) and the Berghaus Illam hydrophobic down hoodie jacket (314g XL). I tried both tops out on the Brecon Beacons last week for 4 days in rain and sub zero conditions, and was really pleased with them. You can find reviews on TGO Magazine by Chris Townsend, although sadly neither are in production anymore but can be found on EBay / Amazon.

Hi Simon,

the Rab Generator Smock- looks like a good piece of kit for cold weather stops and evenings by the tent! Having sleeves would give me more heat than my Paramo Gilet!

So why are you not using it for this trip- weight saving again?

Im also looking at the Alpkit Balance- its half the weight of my Paramo Velez jacket!

Gavin

You got it - weight v performance. The warmth to weight ratio of down has always been superior to synthetic, but I think hydrophobic down has narrowed the capability gap between synthetic and down in damp climates. My rucksack dry weight was 10kg last year (including ruck sack) and I am whittling that down to 7.5kg (including rucksack) through cutting out the extraneous kit (whilst remaining warm / safe) and looking for items of kit that do more than one job.