​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tent or Other Setup

I too will be using my trusted Stratospire 1 for this my first Challenge. Lots of space and sturdy. looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing the different shelters.

I use a trusty old Laser Competition when I'm solo, but it's too small for two so when I'm with Mike, we doss in style and comfort inside a Vaude Power Lizard. I bought us the 2-3 person size last year, and it was almost too roomy for two, but at least we didn't keep squashing each other. Previously, we've shoe-horned into the 1-2 person size Power Lizard, but usually had to sleep head-to-tail! Unfriendly, and no room to avoid the inevitable tussocky humps.
Hammocks sound great, but many of the open hillsides and lumpy bogs offer no chance of pitching one, though I suppose most glens offer woodland clumps and plantations. Good luck with it, and be sure to tell us all how you got on!

Decisions, decisions!! My first TGO I used a Trailstar with a Bearpaw nest, which I loved for the shear space, but the footprint was a wee bit bit big and a couple of times I had to hunt around for a suitable pitch. Also, in cold weather it's a hell of a space you need to heat up to get any differential to the outside temperature. So not the warmest sometimes but absolutely bomb proof. About 900g for the pair.

My last TGO I took a Tarptent Notch, modified slightly to make it more sturdy in high wind. It did great, and I'll probably take it again. The only downside is it's a bit tight on space in the inner if you're holed up for a long night. Weight about 800g and a vey quick and simple set up.

Last year when I walked the Cambrian Way, I modified a Six Moons Lunar Solo I have but not used much in the past, again to make it more stable in wind. The mods changed it from being fair weather shelter to one I became confident using whatever the weather. And the bonus is it has bags of space for the weight. So that's also a possible shelter for this years TGO, especially like the weight at less than 700g.

I'll stick with my trusty Nallo 2 - Used on 6 crossings and plenty space for one.

Why would you want to put yourself through that, it would be very interesting when you want to make yourself a brew or something to eat or even getting dressed, not to mention the scotting highlands deciding to give you a morning shower. For me I look forward after a long days walking to climb inside my Helleberg, straight into my bag and pour a large dram or 2 :-). You have to look at it this way weight is comfort and if you don’t want that then it could be a very long two weeks but that’s my way others like to experiment. High level walking is a tent all the way but again its personal choice. My motto is fill your bag with everything possible that will make your crossing memorable and comfortable not light and miserable..

I wanted to buy the Hilleberg Enan for the Challenge, but then I asked my bank account's opinion and it told me to stick with my plan of borrowing a Fjällräven Abisko Lite 1, which I have used before, is quick and easy to pitch, sturdy, warm and roomy for one. The downside is the weight (appr. 1.6 kg), but hey, life is all about hard choices.

Minna
Finland

Ha-ha... the Fjällräven Abisko Lite 1 is a very nice tent and you would be very comfortable in that all night long. I don’t think of the weight really, like I said weight is comfort and that’s no substitute, watching the weight really limits a lot of things. The only thing I watch my weight on is I dehydrate my food so I can have food I eat at home like stews, curry cheesy pasta etc iv never been a fan of the freeze dried ones you can buy I find them really grainy and synthetic tasting. when I was on a pre challenge Easter jolly last year (pre challenge) in the lake district the weather was brutal mostly gale force wind with lots of the wet stuff. If someone told me you will be sleeping in a hammock tonight I would have rather died, moral would have been spoilt and the jolly is all about having a good time. The hammock wouldn’t have been possible in that weather high level. My personal thinking is you would need to be in good conditions with a lot of cover. You never know what weather May will bring on the challenge, last year the first week was like being in the Mediterranean but some years it could rain for a fortnight and that’s very testing….

Abisko Lite 1 is indeed an excellent tent - but so is Enan, just half a kilo lighter! I'm not exactly a gram counter but I am weight consious, as I've got rheumatoid arthritis, and also because I just don't want to carry extra weight. A good shelter is however a thing I'm not ready to make compromises with. Neither is a warm sleeping bag. Or Pringles!

Minna
Finland

For several years I did my crossings in a Trailstar, but the footprint was too big sometimes - although it was bombproof in bad weather. I do love that shelter, but difficult ground making me walk on to find somewhere I could pitch has made me re-think.

I have invested in a Tarptent Notch since last year. Have tried it out on several multi-day trips and like it almost as much, although I haven't been out in any seriously bad weather yet.

I can't imagine what it would be like in a hammock during some of the bad nights I have encountered. I want to be able to get warm and dry and cook a meal in shelter. Can't imagine doing that in a howling gale or blizzard in a hammock...

I guess I'd want that hammock to be made of groundcloth-type (waterproof) material as its likely to be used for that more often than finding 2 suitable uprights (trees, posts, building, etc) on a regular basis (at least where I go). My first time in Scotland, I was astounded at the lack of forest, now, yes, before anyone gets huffy, I know there ARE trees! I'm just used to a lot more of them, that's all. I also find forests/trees to have more tick issues so I avoid them for my evening stops.

julie munkeby
I guess I'd want that hammock to be made of groundcloth-type (waterproof) material as its likely to be used for that more often than finding 2 suitable uprights (trees, posts, building, etc) on a regular basis (at least where I go). My first time in Scotland, I was astounded at the lack of forest, now, yes, before anyone gets huffy, I know there ARE trees! I'm just used to a lot more of them, that's all. I also find forests/trees to have more tick issues so I avoid them for my evening stops.

Hi

I agree totally with your point about being waterproof which is what mine is and I have had the tarp setup as a tent and bivi with the hammock inside. just for fun I have had it pitched as low as 25inch ( shortest my walking poles will go) in a closed of A frame.

Swap out the end guy lines for 3mm, and get rid of the line they provide with the Notch. The achilles heel for the Notch, strangely enough, is a strong wind on either end. It puts pressure down on the roof panels and causes the end guys to slip in the linelocs. Those linelocs aren't really designed for cord as thin as that supplied. I also take a spare guy, about 1.5m long, with a mini caribiner on one end so I can easily attach it to various points on the Notch. In really strong wind I add it to the windward end for extra security. Also useful to have this line if I want to peg out one of the vestibule doors as a small cooking canopy.

On last tip, take four ultralight titanium pegs (shephards crooks/pins), and use them to peg out the bottom of the end struts. Stops either end of the tent lifting in strong wind and gives a much better pitch.

Apolgies if this isn't new to you. I've had the Notch for a few years now, and with a few tweeks it's pretty good in wind.

I'll be taking either my Scarp 1 or my MLD Duomid. The former if conditions are at the poorer end of the spectrum, the latter if looking a bit better.

TT Notch (800g), but I was lucky with the weather. If it was awful weather I would use the TT Stratospire 1 (1000g) as its more comfortable to sit out long downpours in it, or a fair bit of snow.

Hi Aaron,

Myself and my partner are attempting the Challenge for the first time this year.

We had a Terra Nova Polar Lite 2 tent which was a fantastic little bombproof tent which would stand up to whatever the weather would throw at but, but when when I say it was little- it really was too little for two people!

Then a Scarp 2 tent came up for sale, so I snapped it up straight away. It weighs about 1.8 kilo's and roomy enough inside and we have a porch each! So far we have only used it for four nights. My first observation is that I find that the inner sits a little to close to the outer and condensation transfering from the outer to the inner can be a small problem but its not bad. In saying that, we havent had any wind on those nights we camped, so we probably had more condensation than normal.

We have the optional crossover poles and last time we were out, I have them a try- success- the poles lift then outer further away from the inner so less condensation transfer, but the aditional poles takes total tent weight up to 2.3 kilos.

For the challenge I may add another few guylines to my Scarp 2 like other people have done- including line lifters at each end of the tent- again this will give more space between the outer and inner. I will also add a guy line at each side of the main hoop for more stabilization in high winds.

Depending on the long range forecast at the time- we may take the additional cross over poles on the challenge.

I'm quite pleased with this tent so far and look am looking forward to putting it through its paces on the challenge.

I did think about buying a MLD Trailstar for the challenge and was quite keen on it, but my partner was having doubts about it and wanted a proper tent so to speak.

Gavin.

1.8kg for two people isnt bad. good tip share the body and poles each day and it becomes a -9kg tent :-)

Hi Gavin

Good choice there. This is also my first year and although I have spent a lot of time in the Scottish hills this should be a great challenge.

Regards

Aaron